Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Why does Consumers Reports recommend Mazda 3, but not 6??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:56 AM
Default Why does Consumers Reports recommend Mazda 3, but not 6??

What would cause Consumers Reports to be negative on the relibility of the Mazda 6, but recommend the Mazda 3? I am shopping around, but am hesitant because of the negative press from CR. I like the Mazda 6, so if anyone has thoughts on why they recommend one but not the other, it will help! Thanks! [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 08-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Default RE: Why does Consumers Reports recommend Mazda 3, but not 6??

Have not subscribed to CR for some years so do not know what they are being negative about. One thing I do know is that the 6 has been out for a year longer than the 3 and problems inherent in a complete new model release have come out on the 6 and not yet of the 3. The 6 has had an abnormal number of recalls for a Mazda where the 3 has not. Remember that we are the final test subject for any new model released and problems are fixed as they develop in the field. Post what the negatives are that CU has and we can go from there. Vast majority of people that I know have been very happy with the 6 they have purchased.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Actually the 3's are known to have more TSB's than the 6's.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 AM

Consumers Reports is pretty generic in their analysis saying that "reliability has dropped to below average, so we no longer recommend the Mazda 6". It does have an above average satisfaction rating, however.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:24 AM

ok FRAGILE, has ten more tsbs out than the 3 but for recalls and ssp programs is far more. We actually do not have any current recalls or programs for the 3 and several out for the 6. My point was that these are some of the things that they look at for reliability and has a direct impact on the rating score. I have not run across anything that seems to be a regular problem on either of the vehicles to date. Both made a good entry into the market and have held their own so far. I would not hesitate to consider purchase of a 6 or a 3 although i like the looks of the 6 much more so than the 3.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:50 PM

disregard my previous statement. I had some misinformation. I do agree that from my experience as well, they are both good cars. I think consumer reports likes to deduct points from anything that isn't a Honda or Toyota.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Default RE: One more question on: Why does Consumers Reports recommend Mazda 3, but not 6??

One more thought on this topic.....I read that the 6 motor is supplied by ford and the 3 motor is supplied by mazda. I think ford owns most of mazda, so is there really any difference in the mazda and ford engines?

Thx for any comments.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:37 AM
Default RE: One more question on: Why does Consumers Reports recommend Mazda 3, but not 6??

i'm just taking a guess, but i think both vehicles are made the same. and yes, mazda/ford are basically one ordeal now.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:43 PM

Ford only owns 33% of mazda. Their engines differ greatly in the build quality as clearly any mazda vehical is going to wayyyyyyy out live a ford as far as reliability is concerned. The parts distribution between ford and mazda on the 6 is essentially the same as the 3 however there are parts on your mazda engine that if you look close enough will read FORD on em... my reccomendation, replace those parts immideatly with something made overseas! Consumer Reports reliability rating is also taking into account the number of recalls as babyhuey mentioned, and there are more for the 6 than the 3, that is a large factor in their reliability rating. They do conflict in their analysis however in that they mention the initial build quality to be extremely high. I think with some coaxing from loyal 6 owners and in comparison to it's Ford counter parts dictionaries worth of problems, the 6 should definatly have recieved a higher rating.

D to the B

Old 09-05-2005, 12:59 AM

I've noticed that all V-6 Mazdas are using some variation of the Ford Duratech used in the Taurus and Escape. Will Mazda begin to utilize thier own V-6 designs anytime soon? And slightly OT: how much control of Mazda does Ford have? I've read things like Mazda was "forced" to accept the Ford Escape (Tribute) rather than go with thier own design. How can this be if Ford only owns 33%?

Quick Reply: Why does Consumers Reports recommend Mazda 3, but not 6??