Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

where to start with problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Default where to start with problems.....

To start off with, I own a 2005 mazda6s V6. It has been running fine for the first 5,000 miles.... but then the last 2,000 miles I have started to notice problems. Among these problems, I will list one by one.

1.) Just the other day, at 6700 miles on the odometer, I experienced a really hard engine knocking @ 1500 rpm while the vehicle was in 1st gear. I tried this a few more times after slowing down from 35ish mph and this happened 4 times total.

2.) When my heater is turned on to warm the cabin, it makes an obnoxious tapping noise as if the fan is scraping off something as it is spinning.

3.) The engine knocking tends to happen very often now. I originally used 87 octane gas, but then bumped it up to 89 to try to limit the knocking but it is still going strong with no noticeable difference from the 87 octane. I've been using the 89 octane the last couple of months hoping that most of the 87 octane would be flushed out.

4.) My final problem that I have noticed is that the vehicle jerks between gears 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, but the 4+ gears are fine. I was told there was a TSB to help to fix that shifting but that was only for the low gears, not all of the ones that I am experiencing.

Can someone please help me out here? Is this all covered under warranty since I only have 7,000 miles on my car? I never even beat on this car or run it passed 5,000 rpm yet. This is not looking to be a very promising vehicle as of this time. I was thinking of going to the dealership this week to get this all checked out.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Default RE: where to start with problems.....

I would definitely head to the dealer on this one. My 2005 Mazda 6 now has 7800 miles on it , but I have had NONE of the problems you listed here. The 6 is such an amazingly responsive and fun car to drive. It stinks that you are having this bit of bad luck. I'd raise "Cain" at the dealership until this was fixed. It seems the dealerships only respond to squeaky wheels.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:34 PM

My wife's 3.0L has over 32,000 miles on it now with no issues. You shouldn't need to run anything higher than 87 Octane. That is what the fuel maps are all programmed to. This would all be covered under warranty

Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 PM

I ahve expirienced the ticking noiose when I turn the heat on. The shifting has been fine, and have not had any of the other problems you mentioned.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:58 PM

I just got my car back from the dealership. There were two recalls on the car. One for the Transmission Control Module, the other for the Power Control Module. I made a thread before about my car slamming itself into gear with the transition between 1st-2nd gear. Since they reprogrammed the computer...it hasn't done it yet. But I've only had it back for not even a full day...so time will tell whether that really fixed the problem. Contact your Mazda dealer...seems like most of the stuff you listed will be covered under warranty anyway.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM

I'm hoping the reprogramming does the trick... I was gonna go get that done last week but I ended up not having free time during the week and for whatever reason the dealership by my house is not open on weekends (I don't know if all of them are that way, but mine is). Let my know if you develop any problems again Alyssa. Hopefully that reprogramming will fix all of my gear shifts and if not I am gonna try and fight for a new transmission b/c that last jerk was really bad. Last time I felt a jerk like that was whenever my transmission on my ford explorer fell out a week later haha. I'm gonna be careful in the meantime.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:36 PM

No reason why all of that should not be covered under warranty Ross. Tapping from heater maybe not if a leaf or twig has fallen into fan (good dealer would cover it anyway) but otherwise should all be covered. Make sure when you take it in you switch back to the 87 octane if that makes the knockinng worse. You want that to as pronounced as possible so it is not dismissed. If possible, ask that the service writer or manager go on a test drive with you so that the problems can be pointed out by you first hand.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 AM

I Have an 04 mazda6 V6 with 46K miles on it. I bought it used with 38K on it and eversince Ive had it Ive used 93 octane gas and royal purple full synthetic oil. I havent had any problems at all, If your car is ment to use 87 octane it will not hurt it to use 93. I am a volkswagen technition, and after seeing them break down I decided to buy a different car. Your dealer will cover all your problems you have under warranty.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: 04maz6

If your car is ment to use 87 octane it will not hurt it to use 93.
It doesn't hurt the motor, but it hurts your wallet......Other than the occasional tank of 93 to flush cleaning additives through the system, there is no benefit to running 93 octane gas on a vehicle designed to run on 87.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:58 AM

just got me an appointment set up for this upcoming wednesday. I'll let you know how everything goes and what all was done to fix these problems.

Quick Reply: where to start with problems.....