Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Warning chime after car is off (lights are off) can't lock doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Default Warning chime after car is off (lights are off) can't lock doors

I have a 2014 Mazda 6. It won't allow me to lock the doors. A beeping sound is going off like when the lights are left on, but they are off. The only way to lock the doors is to use the key in the door outside. Last week it would not even open the door with the key. Finally got in and the battery for the car was dead. Replaced it, but still beeping sometimes after the car is turned off and won't allow me to lock the doors with the fob. Please advise.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have the push start button?
Any warning lights on the dash?

Old 05-30-2018, 06:35 AM

It has a push button start. No warning lights are showing on the dash except the usual car with lock symbol that blinks when car is off.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Automatic or Manual transmission?

Are you sure the ignition is fully off, & the steering wheel locks when you open the door after turning the car off?

Old 06-01-2018, 08:49 AM

It sounds like the car thinks the keys are still in the vehicle. Any chance your spare key is still in the car?

It doesn't explain the dead battery, but everything else would happen.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:29 AM

I am interested in this thread, were you able to find root cause to this?

I have these same symptoms and in addition I have noted this with mine:
If I start the car and put it in drive or reverse and drive it, distance does not seem to matter, 3 feet vs around the block and then shut it off it stops chiming and I can lock the car. I thought I read somewhere that when shutting off the car, you should not have your foot on the brake once you have place the vehicle in park. I just took a quick look in my manual but could not find that statement. Maybe I was dreaming that up..

Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 PM

I am having a similar thing with my 2013 CX 5. The security indicator light goes on and it beeps. Engine is fully on, radio and clock still on. Car won't lock manually or with the key fob. It is a push to start.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Lightbulb Warning chime, (Beeping) after the car is off (lights are off), Can't lock doors.

CONCERN:- A beeping sound is going off. Can't lock the door with the key fob; the only way to lock the doors is to use the key in the door outside. The radio remains on even after turning the car off. Leaving the car in this state drains the battery. SOMETIMES this stops when you reverse, drive then park. This means that the vehicle has not turned off all the way.

CAUSE:- This May not work for your Mazda but it also works for your Mazda (What am I even saying here 😩). In other words, Inspect your PARK INHIBITOR SWITCH. The switch may be Inoperative.

PART:-
Park Inhibitor Switch/ AT Shifter Switch. Park Inhibitor Switch/ AT Shifter Switch.

PART DESCRIPTION:- When pressing the START/STOP button, the ignition may not turn off on some vehicles equipped with a gate-type AT shifter. Although the shift lever is in “P” position and the engine shuts off normally, the ignition may stay on (in accessory mode). This concern may be caused by a worn switch unit. To eliminate this concern, the switch unit material has been changed to improve wear resistance. Modified switch units have been established as new service parts.

WHAT TO DO:- Replace it. Also at this point you might also want to do a full circle service inspection (Multi Point Inspection) which is generally free.

COMPARISON:- The
dealership will charge you $ 315.04, (PART COSTS - 75.04 + LAB-MECHANICAL - 240.00). If you have your own cool personal mechanic they might charge you $92- $117 and buy your own part for around $30-$50. If you also know how to replace it your self it will cost you only approximately $30-$50.

PART NUMBER:
Genuine OEM Mazda KDY0-4-040 Genuine OEM Mazda KDY0-4-040

HOW TO:-

Here is how to replace the unit on a CX-5:

NOTE: This issue can also occur for a Mazda 6 but the access panel is part of the front console instead of the rear console.
LET'S ALL SHARE OUR EXPERIENCES AND IDEAS.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:42 PM
Default Need help!!!!

My mazda 3 2014 also beeps when I open my door. Lights and everything is off, car is in park, etc. But also my key fob doesn't work anymore, battery in key is still good. But it doesn't unlock or lock doors and doesn't start the car even with doing the emergency start procedure.

Old 01-13-2023, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kaimi Miyashiro
My mazda 3 2014 also beeps when I open my door. Lights and everything is off, car is in park, etc. But also my key fob doesn't work anymore, battery in key is still good. But it doesn't unlock or lock doors and doesn't start the car even with doing the emergency start procedure.
did u get this fixed? How?