Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Default Turbo

Okay so i have the 2007 automatic 2.3 liter mazda 6 hatchback and i had asked this question before but im getting serious about buying it what is the best turbocharger now? and is it necessary to get a intercooler or a catback exhaust? how much of an hp gain will i see at a safe psi setting?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by reed_kamsler
Okay so i have the 2007 automatic 2.3 liter mazda 6 hatchback and i had asked this question before but im getting serious about buying it what is the best turbocharger now? and is it necessary to get a intercooler or a catback exhaust? how much of an hp gain will i see at a safe psi setting?
You should be worried about the transmission holding up.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Ok, first question, how many miles are on the car? No it is not necessary per se to get a cat back exhaust, but the turbo will work better with a less restrictive exhaust. As for the intercooler, you need something to keep the charge temps down. It's basic physics, compressing a gas raises it's temperature, this is bad for the engine, thus you need some way of keeping the temps down. So you do one of two things, you install a heat sink (intercooler) or you get a water/meth injection kit. Either one will work, but honestly the intercooler is the easier way to go.
Only company I know of that is making a kit for the 6 (4 cyl) is Hiboost, and honestly I have not clue about what to expect for power gains and such. FI really is outside my realm of expertise other than the mechanics of it. Look around, do your research, and for the love of god, please don't just buy a kit and slap it on! Understand what is going on with your car, and make sure the car is tuned properly for the FI setup. I really don't want to hear about how you went lean and grenaded your engine because you didn't get the car set up right.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM

It's going to cost alot of money to put a turbo in that HB, not to mention it's an automatic. Bottom line you are adding a turbo to an engine that wasn't built for it and you know what will happen if you over boost it or get the set up wrong. You should have bought a SPEED 3 or SPEED 6.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:29 PM

Uh correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the speed 3/6 engine the same as what's in the 2.3? I thought the only difference in the engine itself was the fact that one came turboed and the other was N/A. I know for a fact that the turbo manifold will bolt right up to the N/A 2.3L

Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM

I fingured the internals where different, I could be wrong. Even so the cost of making that HB a turbo is still high. AND IT'S A AUTOMATIC!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Yeah, so you keep saying, but who cares? My car is auto and I'll bet it's spent more time on the track than your manual. Considering I've been racing it at least once a month for 3 years. Quit being so mindlessly down on autos man, truth is, both drive trains have their downsides. Also, if autos are so bad, why have there been some high end performance cars that have come out recently that are offered exclusively with automatic transmissions (ie. Nissan GTR, Lexus ISF to name a couple)?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by CKeffer
Yeah, so you keep saying, but who cares? My car is auto and I'll bet it's spent more time on the track than your manual. Considering I've been racing it at least once a month for 3 years. Quit being so mindlessly down on autos man, truth is, both drive trains have their downsides. Also, if autos are so bad, why have there been some high end performance cars that have come out recently that are offered exclusively with automatic transmissions (ie. Nissan GTR, Lexus ISF to name a couple)?
MY CAR IS AN AUTOMATIC FIRST OF ALL!!!!!!! I DON'T RACE MY CAR, LAST TIME I CHECKED THEY ARE NOT RACE OR TRACK CARS.I just dont see the point of trying to change what you have into something its not and waste loads of money when you have the option to by It from the dealer in the first place. THATS MY OPINON. BTW we are talking about Mazda not Lexus or Nissan, and the last time I checked the turbo version of the speed 6 its only in manual. I'm done with this thread.

Last edited by vlstellato; 02-06-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 PM

And once again, that is your opinion. He asked a very clear question, try answering it rather than injecting your personal opinions into things. As for these not being track cars, I have spent a good deal of time and money tuning the suspension on my car to perform better on the track and it has payed off, as I am currently #2 in the standing for my class, not bad for something that's not a racecar. My point in all this is that you don't want to spend your money on tuning you car, that's fine, more power to you, but there are some of us that do. So when someone comes in asking about how to do something or another to their car, try actually helping them and giving them some information they car work with to acomplish their goal safely rather than acting like an *** and just shooting them down from the get go. If you can't help, try and point them in the direction of those who can. Otherwise, kindly remain quiet and butt out.