Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Transmission probs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Default Transmission probs!

I have a 2003 6 with 65k miles on it. Should it be having transmission problems already? The car has been maintained. About three weeks ago I had the 60k maintenance done on it and about a week ago the transmission went out. The dealership told me that the only thing they could do was install a new one (which would be $4700)
I called Mazda North America because I figured given Mazda's reputation for reliability, my situation is an odd one. Neither the dealership nor Corp had much to say to me.
Has anyone experienced this sort of problem with their 6? Is this odd for a car as new as mine and maintained to have a problem like this occur?

Old 10-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Default RE: Transmission probs!

there have been a few issues around, but need to fill in a bit more info for people to really reply. V6 or 4cyl? manual or automatic? though 60k isn't that long for a tranny to go out, there are a few issues with different transmissions that could have just shown up now

Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 AM

Ok...more info..sorry about that... It's a 4 cyl automatic. I purchased it brand new. I drove it off the lot with only 4 miles, 2 of which I put on during the test drive.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:09 AM

do you know what "went out" on the tranmission? keep in mind mazda would rather replace a tranny than fix it, it's cheaper for them. if you know what the problem is, chances are a tranny guy can fix it. if it's things like bands/converter/stator....etc, all you need is parts and they'll fix it. most shops are about $400 or so to pull and replace a tranny, then you just gotta look at parts and labor for the swap. so perhaps in the 12-1500 range i'd guess on the high side?

i've only personally heard of 1 4sp atx going out on a 6i. it was an 03 and it had to be replaced, but not sure the reasoning? my tranny, in my eyes, is dead now, but i have 60k on it, have done 9 track days, 20 1/4 drags, 5 autocrosses and have been running a turbo for the last year, 15psi for the last 8 months. and my issues are i don't have reverse for the 1st 30 min of driving (fluid REALLY warm) and my 1-2 shift can shake the whole car or slip for 10 seconds depending on temp. but i still drive it daily and it gets me by.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:30 PM

Well the transmission shop said I would be paying for an overhaul kit, torque converter and a new transfer case; apparently because of whatever internal malfunction, caused the case to crack. Over all I'm going to be over 3k in the hole. The car was not in any driving condition.
Sounds like you've had some fun in your car! Unfortunately, I can only say that I've driven my car to work and on the weekends. Although I do have a lead foot, I highly doubt that was cause for this.
Any suggestions on what action I can take OR is it just one of those things and I have to grin and take it?
At this point, I'm considering trading this car in for another (not a mazda) because I'm not sure if anything else will go wrong.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:34 PM

it sounds like there must have been something pretty F'd up to ruin the case. no idea what it was? something Mazda should have seen on the 60k service? that would be the only reason to go after them, otherwise you are out of luck.

where you located by the way? shop in NorCal (San Jose) is doing my tranny swap, so they'll have an atx tranny there that just needs a rebuild kit and then would be perfect again....that's if you're in the area though i guess.

outside of that i'd say you are SOL, just one of those things. i personally in 60k have not been to Mazda for a single thing for warranty, just the recall sh*t in the beginning and then the parts counter for stuff i loose. i'd say it's a pretty darn good car, just got a bit of bad luck with you tranny. my next car is a Subi, but just cause Rally racing is the only thing the GF and i haven't raced...so it will be next.

good luck, let me know if you're in the SJ area by chance

Old 12-13-2006, 06:50 PM

In response to your message Gemini.......my 2003 Mazda 6 Automatic just crapped out at about 75,000 miles. Ive had the car for about 4 years and now the tranny has to be replaced or rebuilt. I havent had any major problems until now but this is gonna put me atleast 3000 in the hole. Anyone have any ideas on whether I should rebuild or replace?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 PM
k

Hi,Sammybuca
Is your v4 or v6? I guess most problem on 4 cy not v6.