Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Traction Control on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:17 AM
Default RE: Traction Control on or off?

ORIGINAL: the_gray_mazda6

i was trying to make it up a driveway hill that was covered in snow.... (i had the traction control on)... and just when i was about to get to the top, my car would stop and the Traction COntrol light would light up and blink. No matter how far i would press the accelerator in, the car would not want to go (rpms stayed very low). when i took the traction control off, i was able to gun it up the driveway safely enough. why did the traction control stop my tires from moving, they never spun in the first place when it was on?

It's normal , TCS when it kicks in ; it depowers the spinning wheels to stop them from spinning .... therefore in an uphill you're going nowhere with no power : normal must of been a very steep uphill !! though ??

Old 11-29-2005, 02:31 PM

yeah, that hill was not pleasant. its about a 15 degree angle that was a good 300 feet upwards. i would make it almost all of the way and then tcs would kick in and stop me. would it be wise to turn the TCS off or no?

Old 11-29-2005, 04:06 PM

I've turned the TCS off a couple of times in my wifes car. Sometimes you need to spin the tires. For highway cruising in bad weather, etc. it is just fine. But when you are at slow speeds, or starting from a dead stop on a slight incline, the TCS just keeps you parked.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 AM

Nope, no traction control on my 6. So, be curious no more! It's an option.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 AM

yeah, i'm gonna goof around with it off and try to make it up that steep driveway. haha, i'll show it that i can make it up..... it just won the first battle of the snow season!

Old 12-09-2005, 12:07 AM

my 6 can ride through 2 inches of snow on those stock tires without TCS with absolutely no problem. forgot to turn the TCS off at first so i tried to make it out of my work and up a hill and got nowhere so i quickly turned the TCS off and was able to venture up very long and pretty steep hills. Didn't even slide around or anything. I'm' pretty impressed, especially since this is my first 2wd vehicle ever!!! and just to have a little fun, had a few donut spins in the parking lot to show my managers my new ride heh heh. just hope the weather doesn't get too bad because i have all of my college finals coming up in the next couple of days, that's gonna be a blast.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:21 PM

You won't have TCS unless you have ABS, and if you have ABS then TCS is included. You won't find one without the other as they work off the same system of controlling the brake hydraulics. You won't make it up that hill gray_mazda 6 because as soon as the module sees a small amount off slippage in a front wheel it will apply the brake slightly to that wheel caliper at which point your other wheel will slip and brake will be applied to it untill you eventully come to a stop. You may never feel the slip at all but the ABS speed sensors will.
That is definitely a good tiime to turn TCS off and probably why they give you the option with the switch.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:25 AM

all the 2006 Mazda 6s have ABS breaks................................... JohnnyT

Old 01-14-2006, 06:03 PM

ok.......i have the TCS on my 04' 6s................i am very familiar with TCS and stability system as i have it on my 05 armada..........my thing is........that when i accelerate hard in my six........the wheels spin a little with the TCS on or off.............i even break the wheels lose on ther top of 1st...........now in my armada........as soon as the wheels spin it cuts power immediately and u can feel it, but with the 6 i cant even tell if its actually keepin the wheels from spinning..........maybe it is ever so slightly..i have a 5 speed but i doubt that matters.........any info?

Old 01-14-2006, 06:07 PM

u still on?

Quick Reply: Traction Control on or off?