Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Speed6 vs RX8

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Default RE: Speed6 vs RX8

I can't really respect the RX-8 as they decreased the hp from the original RX-7, kept some of the crappy electrical problems, put in that gay 3rd door, and it not only gets a wopping 18mpg but it burns oil like a beast as well. What good is that thing? Not to mention the Speed6 has more HP. Until they come out with a Speed8 I'd definatly take the 6 over that thing any day.

D to the B

Old 05-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Speed6 vs RX8

I'm replying to humper a little late. I'm not sure if you already made your purchase - RX8 or Speed6. I was in a slight quandary myself on which to buy. I decided to buy the Speed6 Sport after test driving both cars for a few reasons:

1. The RX8 gas mileage was less than I wanted to put up with. I averaged slightly less than 26 MPG since I purchased the Speed6 two weeks ago. Over time it should get better, unless I "gun it" now and then, which I will.
2. The RX8 requires additional driver maintenance that I wasn't willing to perform on a routine basis, mainly checking the oil every other fuel up. No unusual routine maintenance for the Speed6.
3. The RX8 requires additional steps, albeit minor, when starting and shutting down.
4. The RX8 doesn't come with a spare tire as standard equipment.
5. The RX8 has a smaller fuel tank than it's competitors. Coupled with the poor gas mileage, the maximum travel range is far less than the 350Z or other comptetitors.
6. The RX cost more, specifically the GrandSport, than the Speed6.
7. The Speed6 has a host of standard equipment unheard of in previous years for a car that cost less than 30K, to include AWD.
8. The Speed6 is faster than the RX8, and that's no joke. In fact the Speed6 can keep up with most "real" sports cars.

The RX8 is a fine car. In fact I tried to convince myself that it was the car I should buy. However, after doing more research on the RX8, including reading about it on this website, and researching the Speed6, I decided to go with the Speed6. After mastering the touchy clutch when taking off in first gear, the car is a thrill to drive. I bought the Sport because I couldn't justify spending over 2K more for the Grand Sport (although it is a nice trim) and sunroof, which I have never used. So despite the "non-owners" criticism of the Speed6, it is a great car for the money and you'll enjoy it more and each day you drive it. Hope this helps.