Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Smooth flow hose for modding? TB bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Default Smooth flow hose for modding? TB bypass?

Hey
I have modded my airbox, taking out the tuba,tray and flappe and added a K"N panel. I removed the resonator chamber and enlarged that tube to hook up a 3 inch hose to my lower front valence. I cut a hole in the driver side trim grille and run the hose to that. The response is better and my mileage actually went up 2 mpg, so I'm tickled with it so far. I used some of that 20 dollar plastic tubing from Auto Zone for the hose to the bottom of the airbox. It bends easy and is cheap. But I seem to recall seeing modders on other forums using some hi-flow/low friction smooth bore hose for their mods. The cheay hose I used is the mega accordian type and I figure a smoth interior hose would flow better. Ive also seen Suburu guys replacing the hose form thier airbox top,behind the MAF, to the TB with a silicon hose, for increased flow. Is there any such smooth nore hoses for the 6 like that?

Ive also done the TB optimizationa dn EGR mod, both of which helped mpg and throttle response. But im leary of the coolant bypass. Have any of you done the bypass and saw your mileage suffer? Someone in another thread mentioed a sensor in the Tb that would be affected by this bypass. any insights will be appreciated-thanks!