Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Small windshield defect, and water damage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Default Small windshield defect, and water damage.

I bought the 2006 Mazda6 used, in the spring of 07. Some time later, I noticed that the headliner had areas of water damage. Honestly, I did not think too much about it. It is a used car after all, and I got it for a good price.

But, the other day I was cleaning the windshield, and saw a small defect (dent), just to the passenger side of top-middle. It is a dent in the glass, and it continues, under the seal.

The car goes in for 30K maintenance Monday. I told the dealer about the windshield problem, and they never batted an eyelash.

The deal is this; the interior has water damage. The liner is stained pretty well, and the center lamp assembly looks like it has dripped for awhile.

I will be wanting a new windshield, headliner, and lamp assembly; all covered on the warranty. Anyone think I will run into trouble?

Thanks, pro5

Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: Small windshield defect, and water damage.

If it's a manufacturer defect, then I believe it should be covered. It's not like those are standard wear items. I could be wrong, I have been before on this stuff, but if ur still under warranty, then it shouldn't be a problem.

-Cameron Keffer

Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. Looks like it is going to be an interesting morning at the service department.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks, pro5. By the way, the Pro5 is my wifes, the 6 is mine.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:20 PM

You mean a crack that continues to the edge ?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Not a crack. It is a dent in the glass; sort of like the dent a thumb would make in a sheet of soft clay.

The dent is about 4" left of top center, on the outside. And there is water damage in the map light, and all the surounding headliner.

The service office called. They can't make the glass leak with a hose; they will check for other possible leak sources tomorro. That must mean, the other seams along the cabin roof.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Interesting, the dent won't leak, so the water problem sounds unrelated. But that dent maychange the air flow to force in the rain. The water hose pressure may be way lower than the air pressure when you are driving @ 70 mph.
GOOD LUCK.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 AM

It should be covered under warranty.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM

No, a dent would not leak, but the dent extends under the upper seal. Who knows what happens to the seal as temp. and pressures change. The water damage is directly behind the area of the windshield defect (dent.)

Yea, the hose does not cause enough pressure, this is what the service department said. They will look everywhere for a possible leak (seams along the rooftop.)

-I am asking them to give me a price for some new rear mudflaps. Anyone know what kind of price I should expect?

-I asked the service dept. to flush the transmission and replace the fluid. They quoted me almost 300 bucks. Yow! sticker shock. Is this worth the price?

Old 12-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Well, I just got the car back this afternoon. The windshield was replaced, the headliner and map light replaced. All covered under warranty, and friendly service ta boot.

The service department was very good. They let me know everything that was going on, and I have to say, they did it the way that it should be done. I am happy as can be.

So, the 30,000 mile service is completed, and every thing is up to spec.

In case you were wondering, Mazda does not offer mud flaps for the 6. I have a set on the front, but the dealer says these are only available after market.

Thanks, pro5