Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

side moldings

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 AM

I have let the goo gone sit and peeled and pushed with my finger tips (I have to blisters to prove it)

I will take more time tomorrow and keep at it but if I cannot get it off then I will be going to my detail shop on tuesday!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm gonna take mine off saturday. i'll let ya'll know how it goes

Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

What are you taking off Virginia? Can I watch??
OK, a little non-P.Ced 'humor there.

Expect a little trouble as ApW6 is experiencing. If they have been on a for a few years, and yours have been, they can be a PITA.
Funny though, the hard side for me was the side that was in the sun and warm. The other (passenger) side came off w/o too much left over.

Peel off as much excess tape as you can after removing the molding. Saturate them in an adhesive remover and let that work itself in. Remember, adhesive removers do not work well if they have to work THROUGH plastics, such as the foam tape itself is. Remove as much of that as possible first and you should be good to go.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM

of course!! everyone can watch....girls and guys!!

Yea I expect a lil trouble when takin them off on either side bc I park outside everyday

Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 PM

I took them off!! the car looks soooo much better. gives it a nice clean look. I only had trouble with the passenger back door bc I had to peel the tape off the door but that's the only problem I had. didn't even use the Goo Gone. I'll post pics if ya'll want

Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Consider yourself lucky to not even have to bust out the goo gone. lol.

My detailer couldnt even get my residue off. it has almost become part of the paint...So i phoned my mechanic who i got to know really well (with my last car) and he suggested brake cleaner...i am going to pick up a can of it from tomorrow! i am so determined to get this off!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

NOOOOOO!!!! That stuff contains acetone and chlorine which will eat the paint right off the car!!
You REALLY don't want to do that.
I can't believe its THAT hard to get the residue off.

Ginia, 'Can't wait to see the results. Good job!!

Last edited by virgin1; 04-12-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Alpine, have you tried simply heating the stuff up with a hair dryer and then rubbing firmly with your fingers?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 PM

I will check the list of chemicals before using anything on the car...do not worry.

As far as the heat gun...yes is the simple answer. I have heated it up until i could feel the heat radiating from the car and then used my finger tips, plasitc razor blades, etc...damn thing wont budge. I have blisters on the tips of my fingers for the relentless efforts...

Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM

Huh, you may need to hit up a detailer or body shop if it's really that stubborn.

Quick Reply: side moldings