Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda6 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/)
-   -   side moldings (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/side-moldings-22429/)

ginia 03-29-2010 08:35 PM

side moldings

I wanna take off those side moldings on the doors. can I just slowly take them off with my hand?

virgin1 03-30-2010 01:09 AM

Easier than with your feet. :D

Yeah Ginia, they are just taped on. Fishing line or dental floss works well to get them started. Be prepared w/some Goo-Gone (or equivalent) and a good wax for clean up. You may also need some light polish.
I took mine off after hem-hawing around about it for nearly 2 yrs. By then, so much dirt had wedged itself behind and around them that I had a LOT of careful clean up to do. It took me several hours to do it right, but that's just me. Now you can't even tell they were ever there in the first place.

ginia 03-30-2010 06:48 PM

so use fishing line or floss to slide behind it and pull?

virgin1 03-30-2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by ginia (Post 105448)
so use fishing line or floss to slide behind it and pull?

Si, Senorita.

Alpinewhite6 03-30-2010 10:49 PM

Let me know how it goes, I am hem-hawing around it myself.

ginia 04-01-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1 (Post 105453)

Si, Senorita.

gracias, senor

and Alpine, I shall let u know how it goes whenever I get to it

Soylent Green0018 04-02-2010 11:44 AM

Post so before and after pics if you would... I might consider tearing mine off too!

virgin1 04-04-2010 03:03 AM

I don't think you'll be sorry.
What I discovered, and what is sorry is how little the moldings actually protect the sides of the car and how much they do to ruin the paint, which is a weak link anyway, via the dirt and crud that builds up under and around them.
Besides, the car looks sooo much cleaner w/o them, and its easier to wash/wax also.

Alpinewhite6 04-04-2010 07:12 PM

So I took mine off yesterday, The ones on the driver side came off smooth and only let a bit of gunk on the endge which came off with a little elbow grease and goo gone. I used a hair dryer to heat it up which kept the tape loose and it really peeled off nicely.

The other side...a different story. I peeled them off but it did not come off smooth. A bunch of left over tape and i tried using goo gone, heat and hardcore elbow grease but some of it is determined to stay on! It does look miles better than before but any other tricks to get this hunk off? I am about to take it to my detail shop and tell them to just take it off! I wil post pics of it when im done it all, but it looks much better, the driver side anyway!

virgin1 04-04-2010 07:34 PM

I had trouble too and all I can say is do the best you can to soak the leftover tape w/Goo Gone and use your fingers to peel it off after.
Be patient and take your time.