Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Default RE: rpm's

ORIGINAL: cndctrdj

now i would like to know what kind of gas milage your manual would be getting at 65mph while you are still above the 3krpm vtec whil mine being an auto is below that vtec setting, wich makes it use less gas....

that would be interesting, when your car is running in the vtec it runs 1k more rpm than mine but uses less energy to get better gas milage.
but if i was running slower out of the vtec, and you were going the same speed in the vtec i wonder wich would do better...

anyone ever try this.
i know when i run with traffic (70-80mph) in my auto i get 27.79 mpg
when i run at 65mph i get 33.23 mpg these are all three tank averages
thats almost 6mpg better running out of that first vtec setting

since the manual is only rated at 2 or 3 mpg better than the auto i wonder if its true even at 65
That is an interesting question, but i would never be able to provide data to help. As a New Englander, by definition, I have no patience. I'm not even sure my speedometer has a 65 on it. I believe it only has two hash marks on the display...one labelled "traffic jam" and the other labelled "just below ticket speed"...

Old 05-05-2006, 08:55 PM

the lower your RPMs the better gas mileage your gonna get no matter if its an automatic or manual. the only reason manuals get better is because of city driving because you can conrol how low you want the RPMs to be. think about it, if your running fast you wont be able to as far, as if you were running slow, becuase you will run out of energy. same for a car the lower the RPMs the more you will be able to travel on a little bit of gas, the less the engine is gonna have to work. no matter if it is a automatic or manual, there is no different if your just cruising on the highway, as long as your at the exact same RPM. the torque converter actually builds torque when your accelerating from a stop, and when you are moving at a steady speed your torgue converter clutch locks in and makes a direct connect to the engine which is 1.1 ration, so then your gear ration will now be whatever your transmissions gear ratio is for that gear that your in. but when you try to go up a hill or slightly accelerate the torque converter clutch will disengage to give you more power. I can actually watch it in my car if you put it in tiptronic and put it to 5th gear and when you stay at a steady speed the RPM's will drop about 200 roughly( I noticed this on the highway in 5th gear Ive never really tried it in a different gear, it doesnt have to be in tiptronic either its just shows you that the vehicle is still in the gear). A few other things play a factor also, like if your AC is on, if you have alot of stereo equipment, if your going up hill, all of these put more of a load on your engine becuase the ECU tell the motor to increase RPM to make up for the loads you are running, either the AC compressor, or power amperage out of the alternator to run all of the electronical components. well that is all I have to say sorry its soo long, if you have any questions or comments just ask.
on my 04 V6 at 3000 RPM I am at 85 mph, and I average about 21 mpg mostly city driving.

DD

Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 PM

ok just a lil insight on vtec..............vtec is only set to operate above a certain rpm and at a certain throttle position............if both scnarios are not met, it is not activated.

IE- just hypothetically speaking here.....................say out of the factory they set vtec to punch in at 3500 rpms or so...................theey would also set it to activate at lets just say 65% of throttle position.

so with that being said.............if your cruising at 4000rpms in 5th.............it will not punch in unless of course ur throttle is open more than 65%.................but i dont think anyone cruises the highway with the throttle that far open, unless making a pass or racing someone or just seeing how fast they can go.

so therefore the 6s manual will have better gas mileage than the 6s auto(and vice versa with the 6i's)

did that explain it enough for you?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:55 PM

i beg to differ...
when i have my foot on the throttle no matter how hard it is on i get a surge in power at 3k rpms... wen the vtec sets in....

and when it is in it uses more fuel because its a more agressive cam profile.

there are a few ways to get good gas milage. one is to rev the engine slowly, one is also to rev the engine high but be off throttle and be very concistant...

example. corvette - 400hp 28mpg on highway. 6th gear at 90 mph the car is at 2k rpms
example. prelude - 180hp 27mpg on highway. 5th gear at 90 mph 4500 rpm...

our cars are setp from the factory, at least the auto 4 cyl version is setup from the factory to get best gas milage at 65 mph... you can see this because it holds a good rpm for power and is just out of range of the vtec engagement...

i lost myself its friday, i want to go out

ill see you guys later

Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Default ok

do not confuse a surge of power at the entering/beginning of your torque curve/powerband for vtec. those are different monsters in themselves.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Default RE: ok

So the VTEC is activated for the inline 4 when the car is at 3500 rpms? and the throttle is 65% of the way down?

Old 05-08-2006, 04:38 PM

your rigt i shouldnt assume something like that... but i know power doesnt come from no where... something has to change to make that power. the manufacturuer wouldnt make a cam that is no good till 3k rpms in a stock vehicle, so i make an ejucated guess as to the 3k rpms mark being a cam change.

so when do the cams change in this car

Old 05-08-2006, 05:59 PM

Id like to know as well...

Old 06-28-2006, 02:06 PM

u guys gotta stop callin it "VTEC"
guys wit s2k's n TSX r gonna shoot up ur ***
jpjp
but yea VTEC is a honda trademarked term. ( i used to drive an Accord EX v6 )
so us mazda owners should call it "valve timing"

btw what do u guys with the 2.3 rev at 70mph?

Old 07-06-2008, 02:28 PM

at 70 mph i go at about 3200? cuz i got about 75 at about 3500 and 80 at 3700 on my '07 6i mtx

Quick Reply: rpm's