Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Rotate rotors

Old 09-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Default Rotate rotors

Hi guys! It has been a while since I logged on here. Glad to see everyone is helping each other out. I just bought some sweet headlight cover for my 6. Will post some pics soon! Here is my question.
I am just short of 43,000 miles on my 6. Should I rotate the rotors now or wait. The brakes on this car are still quite strong. Just started to notice a difference a few thousand miles ago. Out of curosity, how long has everyones brake pads lasted? I cannot believe mine have lasted so long. I am somewhat aggressive on the gas, wheel and brakes!hehe..This car has been flawless since 2,000 miles.. I am still getting 27mpg in the city and 30 on the hwy. I have not touched anything on this car.

-Brennan

Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rotate rotors

Brennan,
Rotating ROTORS?? That's an absolute new one on me.
You want to rotate your tires, Son, not your rotors.. and that should be done every 5-6000 miles to help keep wear even.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM

Yeah! Me too. I HOPE YOU MEAN TIRES. Even if rotating rotors was a possibility I doubt you would benefit any by doing so. Although wear should ideally be the same on all four wheels that doesn't happen. Each wheel will leave it's own individual finger print on the rotor. Moving them around would cause more trouble than it's worth.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 AM

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 AM

You do not rotate the brake rotors. You simply have them machined-or-replaced as necessary. If you change your brake pads on time, and if you don't have warpage issues with the rotors, then you can expect to go quite a long time without having to tend to the rotors.As far as the brake pads go, I got just over 45k miles out ofmy front padsbefore they needed replacing. I also had to have the brake fluid flushed/refilled around the same time, to solve the "squeaky brake pedal" issue. The rear pads havenot yet worn out, and the car has approx 56k miles on it now.Cheers,

David

Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 PM

virgin....lol....too funny man...yout response...classic! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

i'm goin on 60k and i'm still on the original brake pads & tires that came w/the car when i bought it brand new 3 YEARS AGO!!!! [sm=happy046.gif]

granted, i'll be needing new tires pretty soon (they're just hittin the 2/32 mark...thanks abe lincoln! ) but thats not bad for a cars' components to last that long right?!?!? im pretty impressed [sm=smiley32.gif]

quick question: do the rotors HAVE to be re-surfaced when you buy new tiresor is that something that is done only if it needs to be done? i've always wondered that. i believe that you only re-surface them if it needs to be done i.e.brakes were worn down pretty good and dug into them....any info would be appreciated guys...thanks....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2802/D6D1F11D669649DAAA0462ED4E0847B3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Rotors should be touched up when replacing the pads. This insures a smooth and clean surface for the new pads to seat in properly and takes away any hard spots that may have developed on it over all the heating/cooling cycles they go through.
That's the short answer....

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM

New tires and brake pads/rotors are not related issues. But since mostcars need new tires at 45-50,000 miles, it's about time for new brakes too.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:43 AM

everythingzen,

When replacing the tires, the rotors only have to be machined-or-replaced if they NEED it...not "just becuase you're replacing the tires". If there's warpage or scoring, then yes, machine them or replace them. If not, touching them up, as Virgin suggested, is the most that would be called for. A light sanding with fine sandpaper does wonders in removing glaze.

David