Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Replaced Cylinder head ... not firing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Default RE: Replaced Cylinder head ... not firing.

I would think the block should be OK so long as your oil supply was never restricted.

Is your friend who put the timing chain on helping you out with this? A single tooth results in quite a few degrees of timing difference. It may start with being only 1 tooth off, it may not.

You can borrow compression gauges from most Auto parts stores, just remove the coil wire and take out 1 spark plug and screw the gauge into the hole (if you can pinch off your fuel supply, that's even better so you aren't flooding the cylinders with fuel. Crank the car over with the starter and get the highest reading off of the gauge. Measure each cylinder this way and record the readings

Min pressure is around 175 psi, should be around 250psi if everything is new and sealed up properly.
Max difference cylinder to cylinder should be no more than 28 psi variance.

That will tell you real quick if you've got a good seal on the motor. Low compression means either the heads didn't get sealed up properly when you put them on the motor or you've got piston rings that need to be replaced.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 AM

My friend has been helping me with this project, yes. He is very knowledgable so I brought him into the project to help out. We will be testing out the compression and fuel pressure mid-week, so I will keep you posted. One question though ... the car was running before we took the engine apart. Since that is the case, do you still think it could be the piston rings? If there wasn't any compression due to the piston rings being bad the car wouldn't have run before we started the project right? I hope that the rings aren't the issue because that would be a huge kick in the nutz! Also, is this an interference engine? I am curious if the engine can be damaged if we try to start it with the timing being slightly off, if the timing is the cause of the problems. Thanks!

Kyle

Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 PM

If your car wasn't smoking blue out of the tailpipe, your piston rings are probably fine.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 AM

Ok. My friend and I ran some diagnostics on the engine last night. First thing we checked was the fuel pump. We heard it turn on so all is good with that. Then, we went to test for spark. Nothing. We took the spark plugs out one by one because we were going to test compression, and when we got to the # 4 cylinder we took the spark plug out. Here is where the problem is. The side electrode is completely smashed and resting against the center electrode! Holy crap! These were new plugs, so we thought maybe it was a defect, so we threw a different one in that cylinder and it did the same thing. I called autozone and they verified they were the correct plugs. So, what is causing this? First, I was thinking that the cylinder head repair shop milled too much of the surface off and the plug was actually sitting down too low in the cylinder, causing contact with the piston. We ruled this out however because if the head was milled incorrectly, the plugs in the 1-3 cylinders should have sustained some kind of damage. They however, were completely fine, even the #3 cylinder plug. So we started thinking. Hmmmm. We looked down into the cylinder (as best as we could through the plug hole), and noticed something. Yes, something is in the damn cylinder! We must have not noticed when it fell in before we put it all back together. While we can't see what it is, my friend who noticed it says it is too big to come out through the plug hole. And it is apparently not magnetic, as we tried with a magnet to no avail. So, you know what that means ... head has to come back off! Damn!

We can't figure out, however, why we aren't getting a spark from any of the plugs. Do you think that this issue with the smashed plug could have caused some kind of short in the system frying the coil or something? We checked all the connections we could fine and all seemed good. Anything dumb we might be forgetting about? Is there a way to test the distributor or at least to narrow down what could be causing the lack of spark?

Kyle

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 PM

Sorry to hear that, but at least you're making progress.

You have an ignition module that fires off the various pulses to the cylinders. (Not a distributor, in the exact sense of the word) It should be a pretty easy swap to put in a new one, it's what all the spark plugs wires are coming off of. Keepthe new partclean and if it makes a difference, then you're good. If not, return the part to the autoparts store....That's probably the easiest way to check it out.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:58 PM
k

How many miles on your mazda 6i? I wonder it need a lot of work to do it.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 AM

The car only has 85xxx miles or so on it. This is what happens when someone drives it who doesn't know what it means when the temp gauge goes into the red!

Anyway, this weekend I suffered a painful observation. Very painful. Evidently, the timing wasn't correct. Since this engine is an interference engine, you can probably guess the rest. Both of the intake valves on the #4 cylinder broke off and were just resting on the piston. However, when we were trying to start it, it caused a considerable amount of damage. It put some cuts and gouges in the top surface of the piston, and also the bottom surface of the cylinder head. The piston was resting at TDC so I could not inspect the cylinder walls at all, but I will try to hand crank the engine so I can inspect the wall sometime this week. This whole thing is just a huge blow to a project I thought I was near the end of. I don't know if I now need a new head, if it needs to be repaired, or even if the piston needs to be replaced. The intake valves put indentations on the other pistons, however they are not broken, and they don't look like they are bent. I just don't know where to go from here. I guess I should take the head back in the shop and see what they think? What about the piston ... can it have a few scrapes and still operate ok (as long as they aren't too deep) ?? Thanks for hanging in here with me!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 AM

Some dings in the tops of the pistons won't do much as far as performance, just make sure you get any loose particles out and that there isn't any damage around the perimeter of the cylinders near where the rings seat. It would be better to replace those pistons, but not necessarily critical. (The dings could cause a little turbulence inside the combustion chamber and reduce performance, probably a negligible amount.) Any damage on the perimeter and you are talking new pistons.

Hopefully the cylinder walls aren't damaged. If they are, you might be able to get them honed out (but that would require getting slightly larger pistons...the upside is more displacement for your engine, the downside is more cost and slightly thinner cylinder walls which could cause it to run a little hotter than normal.)

I'd tear your heads down completely and make sure that all valves slide real easily up/down on the guide sleeves, if they do, they aren't bent. If you encounter any resistance, they are bent.

When you get everything re-assembled, hand crank the motor to make sure everything is clear and not interfering anywhere.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 AM

After further inspection of the engine ... I tried to hand crank the engine so I could inspect the cylinder walls, and it was way too difficult to crank. I was able to move the piston about 2 inches. I then went up to look at the piston. It is not sitting perfectly straight up and down. It is nearly "resting" on on side of the wall. Also, there is one small scratch on the cylinder wall, not really deep, but visible. I am guessing something is bent in the engine that is causing the piston to sit like this. I have only one word: "Damn." I guess I should now consider having a new engine put it. My question now is ... I know it is possible to find used engines (usedmazdaengines.com), but this isn't something I want to tackle. Do repair shops only deal with "new" parts? Or will they find a used engine to throw in to drastically cut cost? I am asking because one repair shop specifically that I have used many times in the past won't put in a part you bring in because they then cannot gaurentee their work.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 AM

That sucks...sorry to hear that. Bolting in a used engine isn't that difficult as long as you can find one with the same tranny combo that you have. (wiring & some of the controls are different between Manual/Auto. It's a lot easier than rebuilding/assembling an engine.

Sounds like you may have bent a connecting rod to me. At this point, either take your losses and get a different motor, or tear that thing down completely and go through it.

You'd be amazed at what an engine can go through and still be repaired. One of my friends has a V8 pushing 1000 hp (no exaggeration) that's he's blown up 3 times (I'm talking connecting rods destroyed, cylinders cracked, etc.). Some sleeves in the cylinders (actually stronger than just a cast block), inspection of the headsand new bearings and it's good to go.

If you find a cheap price on an engine, get in writing whether or not it's a new motor.