Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Recommended Service Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 PM

It is listed in my 07 manual ("chapter/section 8"). If you look in the index under "Maintenance". All of the info is in that section and after the intro, it should say "scheduled" which is a series of tables that specify service schedules.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM

I'm in the same boat. I have a 2005 Mazda 6 with 120,000 miles on it. Owners manual or mazda website neither mention recommendations for transmission flush. I have never had it done, but on the last oil change it was recommended because the fluid was dark, same on the power steering fluid. I didn't know if I should do it or not. I did call valvoline and they were quite a bit cheaper than the dealer, but I wasn't sure on services like that if I should use them. And I wonder if it is worth it since I never had either done before. Reading on here made me think I should also flush my brakefluid. So now I am really confused!!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shawna
I'm in the same boat. I have a 2005 Mazda 6 with 120,000 miles on it. Owners manual or mazda website neither mention recommendations for transmission flush. I have never had it done, but on the last oil change it was recommended because the fluid was dark, same on the power steering fluid. I didn't know if I should do it or not. I did call valvoline and they were quite a bit cheaper than the dealer, but I wasn't sure on services like that if I should use them. And I wonder if it is worth it since I never had either done before. Reading on here made me think I should also flush my brakefluid. So now I am really confused!!
A few comments:
  1. Not only is it okay to flush your brake fluid, many manufacturers recommend you flush it every two to three years. I would never recommend going more than four.
  2. Flushing your power steering fluid is typically unnecessary; that said, I don't believe a flush will harm anything. Personally I'd opt for a simple fluid replacement over a flush.
  3. That leaves your transmission. No vehicle manufacturer in the world recommends a transmission flush. Why? Because flushing a transmission can lead to a whole host if issues; many of which will ultimately lead to a premature transmission failure. That said, the service manuals of virtually every vehicle manufacturer explictly states that to service the automatic transmission, drop the pan, drain as much of the fluid as comes out from the pan drop, replace the filter, replace the pan, and refill the fluid. If the fluid is excessively dirty and/or dark or burnt, drive a few days and "extract" as much fluid as possible via the dipstick (if so equipped) and refill. Continue this last process one or two more times as necessary.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Banned

If you have high mileage, I would not recommend a flush, however, if you have only 30,000 miles I would recommend a flush, comparable synthetic fluid and an external tranny cooler. That combination will give you long life. After that, with synthetic fluid and a cooler another flush may not be necessary, draining and refilling should be fine. The external cooler and synthetic fluid will lengthen the life of your transmission keeping it from overheating (so drain & re-fill is fine after that).

Flush it or Forget it | MotorWeek
How often should the automatic transmission fluid... — Yahoo! Autos