Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Recommended Service Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Default Recommended Service Intervals

What do people think about the Recommended Service intervals? I just brought my 6 in for a noise that ended up being a bent rim, but they said I should get the transmission service done. Its 164.99$ [&o] But that is fine if it is worth it. What has everyone else done? Do you follow the service intervals?

Old 02-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Default RE: Recommended Service Intervals

It depends on how many miles you have on your vehicle. Your manual states the the tranny fluid should be flushed and changed every 50K. Thats fine if you live in a normal/warm climate. If however you live in a more temperature extreme area of the country like I do, you should probably have it done every 30K mileage or so. Some say it's like throwing money away, but remember. Transmission fluid gets heated up and cooled down just like motor oil and engine coolant. Because of this it breaks down over time, mileage, and hard use. Therefore it does degrade over time and loses it's lubricity properties which protects the gears, shafts, bearings, etc. from premature friction wear. So you should change it ... but again, go by the mileage on your vehicle between 30K and 50K you should have it flushed. Just make sure they use the recommended MERC IV fluid, some some cheapo knock off Sh*t transmission fluid they pump out of some giant barrel that they buy in bulk.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM

what are the service intervals? i've searched and searched in this website and i can't find anything. i'm looking at buying a mazda 6 with the V6, 2003. can anyone tell me what the scheduled maintenance is?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 AM

[*]
Sorry it was so long before![/align]

Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Sorry, didn't paste as it was supposed to!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Alamo777 is exactly right: Flush/Refill the transmission fluid every 50k miles should be sufficient, but due diligence is to do it every 30k miles. That's every one to two years. Hell, you can spend $100.00 - $200.00 on a nice night out with your friends or spouse. For the same money, you get cheap insurance for one to two years! Money well spent, that.

David

Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Dealer is ripping you off. I got a full trans flush/fill for $69.95 at my local oil change place (that I've been going to for years with the same techs working there the whole time....)

Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 AM

Everything is always more at the dealerships anyways!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Yeah, but for my money, I know the dealership is doing it right, and there's a computer-and-paper trail left if they don't! I imagine that your recourse is more optimistic if the dealership botches a flush/refill, than it would be if your "local oil change place" botches it. Hope I never have to find out, actually!

David

Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Default Haven't serviced my transmission yet...

Hello all. I'm glad I found this thread because it's exactly what I was thinking about today... I have a 2005 Mazda 3 with 140k plus miles on it and I never serviced the transmission (automatic). The reason I didn't is because the owner's manual doesn't specify any kind of service for it. So I thought it might be a sealed transmission? But it has a dipstick so I'm confused.

Am I pretty much screwed as far as transmission life goes now? I don't even check the fluid because I'm afraid. What are your suggestions? I don't understand why the owner's manual wouldn't say ANYTHING about servicing the transmission.....

Quick Reply: Recommended Service Intervals