Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

question about oils.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Default question about oils.....

My first oil change i went to get it done by a pennzoil shop..... which they used a regular 5w-20 oil. What is the oil called? I know that running the synthetic oil in my mazda6 is not recommended because it has some chemicals and/or additives that will mess up my car internally according to a mechanic that i talked with. would the oil just say something like pennzoil 5w-20 regular?

Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Default RE: question about oils.....

Ummmmmm.....

I just had the oil in my '05 2.3 changed at the dealer, asked for a full synthetic, They only asked if I really wanted to pay for full syn. Most owners in FL seen to go for the blends. I have run full synthetic in all kinds of newer engines. I have never heard of it hurting and seals, gaskets or o-rings.

If the car is an older car, 3-5 years is the range, I have heard of synthetic leaking out easier. This is due the older car having small leaks that have caked oil and the synthetic has a lower viscosity that dino oil so it leaks out these small orifices that normal oil cannot get through. In a new engine there should be no small orifices and the oil should do a better job than dino oil since it can get into all the real tight spaces and keep the parts better lubed IMHO. I am not a mechanic, just a guy that drives way too many miles a year, and tends to wear out cars in a few years from excessive exposure, read that as I get bored with them.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:06 PM

I'd be interested to hear what others think. First oil change in my 6 I knew full syntec was going in. My mechanic actually complimented me on doing so. But I haven't ever heard of syntec being bad for a car. Technically it's forumulated to run smoother, longer, and be more reliable (if it weren't for the engine breaking itself apart with the gas/air explosions you'd never have to change synthetic oil, technically it's that breakdown that causes you to have to change the oil). If anyone knows any different I'd like to hear it.

D to the B

Old 11-11-2005, 06:00 PM

Synthetic oil is the oil type of oil you should run. It has this stuff that help lubricate it better and makes the engine have less friction. Some synthetic oils have been proven to actually free up horse power. Red line and Royle Purple are two of them. Youll be paying premium price for the oil, but I rather pay the extra money for better oil then having to dish out money for a new engine due to the oil not doing a good job.Thats just me though. And Royal Purple oil is about dollars per quart. And they did a review of there oil in last months modified mag.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:52 PM

Synthetic is the only way to go. It will not break down like conventional oil. It is best to run the car to 3000 miles to ensure all parts have been broken in. Then you can change to full synthetic. Another advantage is that you can go further on an oil change. Normally you go 3000 miles change oil and filter. With synthetic, you go 5000 miles, change the filter but not the oil. Just top off the oil from the filter change. At 10,000 miles you change oil and filter. So you go 5000 mile intervals. Every other filter change, change the oil. So you get 10,000 miles from the original oil. Thats why Corvettes only use Mobil 1 synthetic oil along with high $$ European cars. You can't go wrong with synthetic!

Old 11-12-2005, 05:15 AM

Bkey , I think you work at a dealer or you are a mechanic there ... I don't remember well reading not long ago
Any ways I'd like to know what you think and everyone else also :

In my SVT Cobra , it has always used Mobil 1 Synthec since the beginning , before I bought it and afterwards . So naturally , I wanted to start doing the same with my new 6 GT v6 with 41 klics on it . Better than that , I wanted to get that old used up oil in it ; out of there right there and then . My reasoning for this is that oil gets old in two ways ; mileage and/or time . These cars are brought by the manufacturer to the dealer , and are driven in between slightly , but nevertheless driven so the oil starts changing chemically . And this chemical process continues to deteriorate the oil for the balance of the time the car sits on the lots waiting to be sold . In my case who knows how many months long ? I bought it at the end of October - end of year (2005 model) . They even told me the mechanic gave it a test drive to assure all functions well ; normal dealer procedures .

So taking this into account , I was told by the salesman , that the oil inside the engine had special compounds in it to help break the engine in . Hmmm ... o.k. I guess that could be right and I sure would not want to take anything away the mouth of my baby 6 . The mechanic (old school lookin' fellow) when he heard this was surprised about the salesman's words , as if it was the first time he heard this ! Told him what I wanted to do with the oil change right away , and we agreed it would be best around the first 3,000km (not miles) . Told him about my habits with the Mobil 1 , and that I wanted to continue the tradition with my new zoom-Zoom . He looked at me like : are you sure ? Reasoned that it was not necessary to spend extra 'cause I was not racing it like the Cobra . I concluded the same peacefully , and was left with thinking that reg. oil is what the manufacturer asks .... and that I had heard previous stories about how when one changes from reg. oil to synthec. that something like : it drinks more the first times and gotta watch the level carefully .... so instead of asking for trouble , I conceated to reg. oil ..... until I saw this thread .

I raise serious questions here and I would really like your shared feedback on all aspects of this posting of mine .

Ron P.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:55 PM

I just recently bought my mazda6 used and it had 40k on it. I dont know what the person before me used, but since Ive started doing my own oil changes Ive used Royal Purple full sythetic, it costs me about $50 an oil change and I do it my self. I havent noticed anything wrong with me changing to that oil. I noticed the throttle response seems to be a little better.

Dave

Old 11-12-2005, 08:18 PM

i think the mechanic who said synthetic oil is bad for your car is on crack. Synthetic oil protects better, it makes the engine run a little cooler, better gas mileage and longer change intervals. The only drawback to synthetic oil is its price. It is more expensive!

Old 11-12-2005, 11:30 PM

6pack...I'm not sure on the km to miles conversion, but I do think it was a good idea to change the oil if your car was sitting on the lot for quite a while. After the initial break-in, switch to Mobil 1. The break-in allows the rings to seat properly in the cylinders. Sometimes synthetic will prevent a proper break-in due to it being too "slick".

I bet the SVT is a fast machine and will last longer on Mobil 1. [sm=gears.gif]

I edited my earlier post on oil and filter change intervals with synthetic. My lisdexia was acting up! [sm=bangbang.gif]

You don't spend anymore $$ overall with synthetic over the life of the oil and filter changes versus natural oil.
Example: Castrol natural oil $1.89 qt X 4 = $7.56 plus filter $4.00 = $11.56 per oil change at 3000 mile intervals. You multiply $11.56 times 3 oil changes for a total of $34.68. The $34.68 will only get you 9000 miles, DO THE MATH!

Mobil 1 $5.00 qt X 4 = $20.00 + filter $4.00 = $24.00. Change filter one time at 5000 miles for a total of $28.00. The $28 will last 10,000 miles.

In summary: Mobil 1 $28.00 for 10,000 miles of protection.
Natural oil $34.68 for 9000 miles of protection.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:31 PM

alright, thanks guys.... i'm not exactly sure why the guy said it was bad for my car since you guys seem to know what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: question about oils.....