Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

persistent evap system leak CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Default persistent evap system leak CEL

2007 Mazda 6 - 32,500 miles, 4cyl engine, auto trans.

It has a yellow CEL indicating EVAP SYSTEM LEAK.

I wonder if I can ignore it and simply drive on

I did a search and read the 16 topics that came under EVAP but I figured I may get some additional info by posting a new thread.

The background to my question is that I purchased the vehicle used in Feb 2009 with a clean CarFax and AutoCheck from a Hyundai dealer. Had oil changes done at the local Mazda dealer to go with the full circle inspections they offer.

The CEL came on in October 2009. The Mada dealer determined it was a loose gas cap and advised I pay special attention while tightening it. I followed the advice, but the CEL came back up within 2 weeks. The Mazda dealer replaced the Leak Detection Pump under factory warranty.

My next visit was in Feb 2010 for 30,000 miles service, which was done according to requirements. Within 2 weeks CEL for EVAP SYSTEM LEAK was on and it's been coming on ever since. Dealer did smoke test and found no leaks. Dealer worked on grounding wires, then replaced gas cap, replaced PMC and replaced leak detection pump two more times under factory warranty. During last visit dealer stated vehicle is missing filler tube, connector and hoses due to a collision repair and this is what was causing CEL and quoted $1200.

After all the full service inspections, smoke tests and the like I found this piece of news unsettling and took vehicle back to Hyundai dealership from which vehicle was bought with clean CarFax and AutoCheck. They confirmed missing parts and installed filter and hoses a $350 and a new leak detection pump under extended warranty I have with them. Shortly after the CEL is on again for EVAP SYSTEM LEAK (Autozone check).

I have totally lost faith in the abilities of auto mechanics to solve the problem and I wonder if ignoring the CEL will see me stranded on my way to work one of those mornings... A number of people have been unsuccessfully trying to fix it for a while now, but it still starts and runs (total weekly use is under 60 miles).

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Old 07-02-2023, 04:17 PM
Default Same here -2006 mazda 3 EVAP leak

Originally Posted by standard m6
2007 Mazda 6 - 32,500 miles, 4cyl engine, auto trans.

It has a yellow CEL indicating EVAP SYSTEM LEAK.

I wonder if I can ignore it and simply drive on

I did a search and read the 16 topics that came under EVAP but I figured I may get some additional info by posting a new thread.

The background to my question is that I purchased the vehicle used in Feb 2009 with a clean CarFax and AutoCheck from a Hyundai dealer. Had oil changes done at the local Mazda dealer to go with the full circle inspections they offer.

The CEL came on in October 2009. The Mada dealer determined it was a loose gas cap and advised I pay special attention while tightening it. I followed the advice, but the CEL came back up within 2 weeks. The Mazda dealer replaced the Leak Detection Pump under factory warranty.

My next visit was in Feb 2010 for 30,000 miles service, which was done according to requirements. Within 2 weeks CEL for EVAP SYSTEM LEAK was on and it's been coming on ever since. Dealer did smoke test and found no leaks. Dealer worked on grounding wires, then replaced gas cap, replaced PMC and replaced leak detection pump two more times under factory warranty. During last visit dealer stated vehicle is missing filler tube, connector and hoses due to a collision repair and this is what was causing CEL and quoted $1200.

After all the full service inspections, smoke tests and the like I found this piece of news unsettling and took vehicle back to Hyundai dealership from which vehicle was bought with clean CarFax and AutoCheck. They confirmed missing parts and installed filter and hoses a $350 and a new leak detection pump under extended warranty I have with them. Shortly after the CEL is on again for EVAP SYSTEM LEAK (Autozone check).

I have totally lost faith in the abilities of auto mechanics to solve the problem and I wonder if ignoring the CEL will see me stranded on my way to work one of those mornings... A number of people have been unsuccessfully trying to fix it for a while now, but it still starts and runs (total weekly use is under 60 miles).

I appreciate everyone's comments.
Mazda 3 P0443 - it's not the purge control valve. Replaced that 3 times! No body can find what's wrong.