Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

overdrive ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Default overdrive ??????

i just got my mazda 6 and dont see a button for overdrive anyhwere ? this car has no power ? zoom zoom ? what am i doing wrong

Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Default RE: overdrive ??????

Overdrive has nothing to do with power. Overdrive is just a description fora gear that provides low engine RPMs at highway speeds. It's meant for improved MPG and quieter highway operation. If you want more power, move the stick into a lower gear and mash the go pedal (although the automatic will do it more effectively than you if you just floor it and leave the stick alone).

Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM

yes i have automatic......... where is the overdrive button ?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 AM

just seems like i gotta really hit the gas for this car to take off

Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Well if you bought a 6i automatic, welcome to the world of 4-cylinder automatic cars. The manual transmission offers a lot more punch from this engine.

There is no overdrive button....use the 'manumatic' feature if you want to do the shifting for yourself. If left in 'D', it will shift in and out of overdrive by itself according to vehicle speed, load and throttle position. It should be shifting into overdrive somewhere upwards of 45mph depending on how much throttle you're using. Overdrive has nothing to do with how quickly the car accelerates from a stop.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 PM

there is a m with a plus sign and minus sign . what is that ? i would look through the manual but its in the car and i dont have the car right now. i will be picking it up tomorrow. i will have to ask some questions. there is park reverse drive, then it has a m ?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:40 PM

M = manual mode : push the stick towards the - to down shift, pull the stick towards the + to upshift.

-Cameron Keffer

Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM

man i feel stupid cause i have no idea what your talkiong about. so if i put the to the stick to the m it now becomes astick. meaning i move it (the stick)while im driving

Old 10-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Yes havok, that's exactly the case. In "M" mode, you're shifting manually (hence the "m"). Your car has a 5spd automatic, so there is no "overdrive button". Seems that you want overdrive to add more power. It works the opposite way, mate. Overdrive is a HIGHER gear, which lowers torque and rpm at highway speeds, thus improving economy an driving comfort.

David

Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Hi Havok, read you owner's manual and you'll see how to use M. It lets you drive an auto like a manual shift. OD button is for older non-manual shiftable auto trannies. Have fun.

Quick Reply: overdrive ??????