Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

MY ENGINE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Default MY ENGINE!

I bought my 06 mazda 6 3.0L v6 in febuary with 38k on it now i have about 43,500 on it and when its cold the engine makes the noise of ****ed engine. My last and first oil change was done on time and i am almost blaming jiffy lube for it. i got fully synthetic for the price of conventional oil change threw reasons i cannot explain myself and probably 2k down the road when the engine is warming up it makes a horrible "ticking" noise as if it had no oil, but, when i check the oil its fine. i almost want to say they put a less viscus oil in and it all drips off the cylinder walls. i am about to bring it to the dealership i bought it from but i am wondering is it covered by warrenty? im nervous and scared im gunna have to drop like 7k on my car i just bought. will this be fixed under warrenty? what you think is wrong? what should i do? oh By the way the dealership i bought the car from is a saturn dealer, not a mazda dealer so im also hesitent to bring it there due to lack of knowledge of mazdas. let me know what you think i am an automotive student so say what you want. i just dont want to rip apart my engine and void any warranties. thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Default RE: MY ENGINE!

I'd change your oil/filter again. Cut the filter you take off of the car up and see if there is any white residue inside.

Some oils build up a waxy residue inside your engine (Pennzoil is one that comes to mind), if you switch to synthetic, this residue will get flushed out of the engine and come to rest inside your filter, clogging it up.

This happened on my friend's 1973 240Z (it blew the engine up, so he swapped in a 302 V8)

Old 05-12-2008, 11:56 PM

hmm never thought of that....i didnt really want to switch to synthetic but this kid i knew from highschool hooked it p. so, of course i chose synthetic oil change for 60 bucks. i mean when i do my oil change i run 100% mobile 1 all day. i actually think that they did use penzoil. i also own a 2002 maxima and ive done a fully synthetic oil change at jiffy lube and no problems. ill take it into considaration. but i think my warranty is 45k so im kinda gambling if i do an oil change and wait to see if my engine blows. good advice tho ill have to research this more

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 AM

For the first 38k of your car's life (ie Before You Owned It) was mineral oil used, or was synthetic oil used? If you've switched from mineral to synthetic, then that might be your problem. You're not supposed to do that. Aside from that, do the prudent thing in the future, and change your own oil! I wouldn't trust a Lube-And-Brain-Surgery joint even with my worst enemy's car. Good luck...I hope you're not as screwed as you think.

David

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM

im not sure if it was mineral or synthetic. i know man. but does any1 know if this would be covered under insurance? if not is jiffy lube responsible? if it becomes between a highschool buddies job or my car being ****ed and 8 gs commin out of my pocket im gunna pick the engine any day.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM

Hmm..well i hope its the wrong kind of oil because then it will be jiffy lubes fault. new engine thanks to jiffy lube. does any1 know if 2006 mazda 6 have mineral oil? i think i saw that in my owners manual

Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM

What would the damage be if it does have fully synthetic in a mineral oil engine? my goal is to have my 2 1/2 month old car stay nice (which isnt going to well due to my father running over my back bumper with his big *** nitro r/t dubs) haha like if i change my oil back to mineral it wont be good right?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 AM

A mechanical breakdown is not covered by your car insurance, even if there was shop negligence involved. You'd have to pursue that directly with the shop. I'd look into it, if I were you...I hope that things turn out ok for you.

David

Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM

David,

Why is it not OK to switch from mineral to synthetic? That doesn't make sense to me. Both are hydrocarbon and should be fully miscible.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM

That's what I've read in Road & Track magazine, both in the Technical Correspondence column, and in the Engineering Editor's column. I'm no automotive engineer, but I'm reciting what's been published by guys who ARE automotive engineers. It seems to be a problemdue tothe synthetic oil's much finer molecular make-up. I wish I was eloquent enough and informed enough to recite the exact details.

David