Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazdaspeed 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Default RE: Mazdaspeed 6

too much of a good thing is not good , ever here that ? But here it doesn't apply ; with this one it's overkill !!

Too many contradicting lines that don't FLOW, unlike our smooth head-turning 6s/GT (for GOOD Reasons) [sm=shades.gif]

Now a smooth 6 cyl. with a turbo and rear wheel drive perhaps could prove interesting , but definately more than a razor engine on an elevated 4x4 suspension

Old 11-19-2005, 12:23 PM

I do agree, the car was definitely overkilled. It looks almost like a rich car and that normally associates with the driver being a yuppy bastard. I still think that a bigger turbo'd engine would have done the trick with alot more "eye-turning" appeal. oh well, what is done is done.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:34 PM

why the hell didnt they use the 3.0 liter? or even make a new 4.0 liter. Heck how about a V8. If mazda made a V8, it would be better then sex!

Old 11-20-2005, 11:38 AM

I know! i am rather disappointed. why call it a mazdaspeed6 if it really isnt much faster, if at all faster, than the 3.0L 6s that are out there. i don't see the decision to buy that vehicle over my 05 mazda6s as a fair trade. *sigh*

Old 01-08-2006, 11:46 PM

I don't know what you guys are smoking ,but you obviusly haven't been following the latest automotive trends. Ever heard of the Subaru WRX STI, or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. They are only two of the most famous rally cars in the world and are both turbocharged four cylinders and all wheel drive. These racers are not fools , if the engines and the cars couldn't take the punishment, they would not race them, nor would they be able to win with them. I just finished reading the latest Car and Driver magazine , and the 'Speed 6 spanked all the competition in the $30000 sports sedan category, with a 14 second quarter mile and 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds. It also won the skid pad test at .87 g, and had the highest top speed of 149 mph. Sure the looks may not be everyone's cup of tea , but it is definitely a competitor for your 2 wheel drive ,220 hp Mazda 6's. Let's hope Mazda did their homework and made the engine strong enough to take the punishment.
You guys almost had me convinced that the car was a dog. I'm now back to considering it for my next car.........Russtang

Old 01-10-2006, 12:41 AM

I just bought one 3 weeks ago and I'm in love. First off, the car is about the fastest thing on the road for a nice AWD sedan. I got in a drag race with an STI and it was pretty even until I hit the power band in 6th gear, then the speed just sailed even with a 24 horse deficit on the sti. I'm a seasoned driver and don't drag race in general but I was curious about how it would go against the STI and was very impressed. I test drove the STI and the nice thing about the Speed is that it handles about as well if not better (sti has tighter suspension but no speed variable steering or DSC) than the STI and you can still take out your cosmopolitan girlfriend without looking like a little boy in a go kart like the sti, whoever came up with that stupid spoiler on the back, and the juvenile interior should be shot. This is coming from a previous subaru owner... The turbo is also lower rpm so the transition isn't as abrupt as the STI, result, you can still enjoy a good cup of coffee while you flash past other peeps on the road.

The speed handles awesome on the curves and is very predictable though the speed variable steering is a bit wierd to get used to since the resistance changes as you accelerate through a turn. The one complaint I have about handling actually has more to do with the seat design than anything else, it's made for a plus size driver or something - I'm 6' and average weight and find myself sloshing a bit. You can definitely sense the AWD power transfer helping you through the turn and the car stays pretty flat even as you push the point of lost traction (the afore mentioned drag race ended with an abrupt 50mph 80 degree turn which I think surprised the guy in the STI).

The stereo is great obviously, but it has no iPod input so you have to use a transmitter to get sound into the deck which sucks since the crackles and fuzz come through sometimes as well. I contacted Bose and talked to the dealership and no dice on a connector, though I will be looking into a sirius receiver.

The climate control is funky. The auto setting always engages the AC (even in 20 degree cold) and the manual control still guages the cabin temp to adjust the heating. I'm getting the hang of it now but it takes a bit to work out the best comfort range. I have the touring so it comes with heated seats which is nice and quick for heating your posterior if your into that type of thing. Ha!

As for the great debate on the body style I think it's good, though not as refined as the BMWs, Acuras or Lexi in the same price range. The 7" radio antenna is kinda goofy too since most other cars have a fin or nothing at all. The interior is great. Hopefully you'll go beyond looks since the performance is such a good value for the price.

The transmission is great in general though you go through the first 4 gears just to get to 50, I think with the HP and low turbo power band they could have spaced them better. 6th is awesome since you are at about 3000rpm at 80mph, you basically coast in regular traffic and sit at the bottom of the turbo power band so passing is breezy like sunday mornin'. The car likes 90-100 the best, best handling and power at this speed I've found. The shifter is a three cone design so throws are super crisp and the clutch is good and sensitive.

Last note, I slipped on some Blizzaks for the winter and the car is totally unreal in the snow, totally secure for our CO winters. The slicks it ships with are great for dry pavement and tire rack ranks them high for performance. The 215/45/18 size is an issue for new tires, it's appearently a pretty odd size so expect to pay a premium (as well as laughs, double checks and "what car is that again? and that's stock, right?")

Hope my comments help any of you that are one the fence, I'm very happy with my purchase. Never would have considered a Mazda until this car came along.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:58 AM

I'm happy for you and sad for me ..... 'cause I wish I would have been in the passenger seat Speed 6 when you raced that STI

About the AC . AC doesn't mean air cold lol . It can be used for warmer temps as well . If you don't want it on , you use the manual setting . I find that a confortable setting is @ 23 Celsius (F ???) . One thing the owner's manual mentions is that we should use the AC at least 10 minutes per month to keeps the freon inside moving to lubricate the internals of the system .

About the tranny . Is it notchy as ours , with that thump as you shift in ? It's not bad, for it goes in fine .... but not refined as say an Acura shifter in butter . If I would change something on the 6 , it would be the shift feel and sound ... but I can live with it .

As for your Blizzaks , they do an amazing job from what everyone says , they also last one winter only ... hopefully you're not riding 'em on 18s !!

Again congrats , but I still prefer the smooth looks of mine ..... if I want raw power ... I'll jump in my Cobra

Old 05-23-2006, 03:27 PM

I agree with russtang. I just purchased a 2006 Speed6 Sport a week ago and couldn't be happier. You have to look at the car for what it was designed for - the baby boomer with a wife and a couple kids, maybe even a dog, who wants a more refined sporty "sedan" than the WRX or Evo. The WRX and Evo are good cars but not in the same category as the Speed6. The Speed6 is less expensive, particularly the Sport, and suits my needs as a quick, sporty, comfortable, reliable, and safe car that I can enjoy for a few years. It wasn't designed for rally races or for the drag strip. It can however keep up with most cars, even the V8s, gets "Okay" gas mileage, and looks decent (despite what non-owners say). If you want perfection, it isn't with the Speed6, nor the WRX, Evo, BMW, Volvo, etc. But, for the price it's hard to find another car that can compare with the Speed6 feature for feature.

revo

Old 05-23-2006, 04:40 PM

hmm, if only it had an auto option, id be down my dealer today!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:39 PM

Try a stick and just go down to the dealership anyways!!! DOOO ITTT!

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed 6