Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda6S - 12,000 miles - Needs New Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Default RE: Mazda6S - 12,000 miles - Needs New Transmission

My 05 Mazda 6 wagon just left me sit on the way home from work on Friday. The tranny was slipping, wouldn't engage in gear. It is an automatic. Luckily, we only have 30K on it. No word bad from the dealer, yet. My wife and I have only had it for a month, and we take it easy on it. I had a 99 Merc. Cougar and beat it up. Needless to say, it's beaten me back. Now I have more of an appreciation of taking care of vehicles. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 AM

good luck my friend, keep us updated on the situation...

Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 PM

My 6 needed the tranny replaced. Drives like a champ now. Hopefully with some regular TLC, it will last a long time. No other issues to report. I love this car!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM

did they say anything else about your bad tranny or no?

Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM

I just bought a used 2004 Mazda 6 in December and I believe I am having the same problem. It all started Thursday on my way to work, the clutch engaged fine, but as I let up it like clicked and moved it happened all the way from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and to 4th, but then after that it was fine. I left work that night and driving home was fine until I went through a big intersection where I heard a nice loud clunk from the front left side of my car (windows were open). I knew I hadn't ran anything over and checked in my rear view. I got home and could smell something very unpleasant. I left the car running, opened the hood and say smoke, something burning off the engine, not oil cuz I know that smell, so I got down under the car and there was a puddle about 2 ft by 1 ft of tranny fluid, and I had only been parked there aout 30 seconds. My car is at the dealership and I guess its under warrantly cuz I got a rental car for free and all. I am still waiting for them to call me back and let me know exactly what it is, I am quite curious. lol

Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM

Sounds like something went through your pan...keep us updated!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 PM

wooooow i thought i was the only one having some sort of tranny issue. i own an '05 mazda 6i 2.3L auto tranny with only 24.5k miles but first recognized the issue at 23k and let me tell you between 1st and 2nd gear i sometimes get a violent jolt. its strange because it only happens when its cold and if im driving sort of slow, lets say, only going 25 down my street in the mornings and if it was parked outside overnight. its ONLY from 1st to 2nd gear! weird!

it honestly bugs the shiznit out of me. like i said it only happens if the car is cold and i drive sorta slow and revlow on 1st gearshifting towards 2nd gear it jolts and sometimes hard. but if i rev higheron 1st gear into 2nd gear it shifts smoother until the car is warm then i can rev at any rpm i please. for examplereving as high as 3500 or 4000 rpm before shifting to 2nd then i will get no jolt. i dont know how much more i can describe it.

any help? has anyone who's had this exact problem on a auto tranny found a solution? takin it to the dealer? what was the diagnosis or root cause? complete tranny swap? heeeeelp.

i mean its tolerable and only happens sometimes... but come on! seriously, it shouldnt be happening at all and i should have to "tolerate" anything especially if i only have 24k miles.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:40 PM

sorry. meant to say "shouldnt" have to tolerate anything...

Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM

From what I've read, Mazda went through a lot of transmission designs, and different fluid requirements as well. My brother now owns a 1990 626 with 150,000 miles which still runs fine. The upshift from 1 to 2 is hard, but it's still going. Never flushed the transmission, heard some bad things about doing that. Used a tool to suck out 3 quarts about 4 or 5 times Over the last 4 years, refilled with Mobil 1 ATF.
On the 2006 Mazda 6 there's a drain plug. Plan to simply drain and refill with Mercon V "part synthetic" (aren't they all?) Castrol.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 AM

wooooow i thought i was the only one having some sort of tranny issue. i own an '05 mazda 6i 2.3L auto tranny with only 24.5k miles but first recognized the issue at 23k and let me tell you between 1st and 2nd gear i sometimes get a violent jolt. its strange because it only happens when its cold and if im driving sort of slow, lets say, only going 25 down my street in the mornings and if it was parked outside overnight. its ONLY from 1st to 2nd gear! weird!

it honestly bugs the shiznit out of me. like i said it only happens if the car is cold and i drive sorta slow and revlow on 1st gearshifting towards 2nd gear it jolts and sometimes hard. but if i rev higheron 1st gear into 2nd gear it shifts smoother until the car is warm then i can rev at any rpm i please. for examplereving as high as 3500 or 4000 rpm before shifting to 2nd then i will get no jolt. i dont know how much more i can describe it.

any help? has anyone who's had this exact problem on a auto tranny found a solution? takin it to the dealer? what was the diagnosis or root cause? complete tranny swap? heeeeelp.

i mean its tolerable and only happens sometimes... but come on! seriously, it shouldnt be happening at all and i should have to "tolerate" anything especially if i only have 24k miles.
T0MD0, this is called shift shick. They havea TSB for this, mine did this as well. Only when it is cold and only between 1st and second. Just go to the dealership, explain when it does it and just mention the TSB for shift shock. They will reprogram the ecu and you will be good to go. I havent had the problem for 20 or so thousand miles.

Quick Reply: Mazda6S - 12,000 miles - Needs New Transmission