Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Mazda 6 - 2006 - Diesel - UK - Oil Consumption Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Default Mazda 6 - 2006 - Diesel - UK - Oil Consumption Issue

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased 2006 Mazda 6 TS2 Diesel which comes with its usual spec 143hp, 6 spd gb, 6 Cd changer, Bose system, sunroof, Silver colour etc. with 67.5K miles on the clock.

I have done nearly 1600miles since then. The garage I purchased it from got the Cambelt done. So overall pleased with the purchase.

But I have a query about the Oil that this car is consuming. I chked the oil level etc when I bought it. Prev owner got the oil and filter was changed in Dec 2011 from Mazda dealer. So I when I chked the oil level it seemed alright. LAst week while pulling near my drive I noticed the oli level lamp flashed for fraction of a second and went off. I chked the oil level and to my horror the dip stick showed no sign of oil. I didn't even crank the engine till I topped it up with ACEA C1 (CARLUBE from Eurocarparts) oil. since then it seems to be fine, but the level is dropping fast. I am monitoring the oil level everyday in engine cold and warmed up condition. Here are the findings
- There were / are no spills or oil drops on my drive. From underneath (as far as I could see) and in the engine bay no sign of oil, looks clean.
- I topped the oil, for first time when the light came on for nearly 3 ltrs of oil. I have driven 600miles from then and the level is dropping at a rapid rate.
- The temperature indicator is always ( I mean when the engine is warmed up) in the middle, hence presuming the engine cooling system is working fine.
- There is no sign of smoke black or blue ot indicate if the turbo seal has gone or any other leak.

So I am kind of surprised (and little bit worried) about engines oil consumption. I daily do 50 odd miles with 30 odd motorway miles. I used to have old Nissan Almera Petrol and I changed oil init after 15000miles and never had any issue with oil. Hence I appreciate if you guys can shed some light on 2006 car's oil consumption. Is this normal or something really worng with the car. BTW as far as I can tell the car has no loss of power and handles an drives perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

Symantec

Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Remove your intercooler and see if its filled with oil, they can hold ALOT before it starts to affect the engine. Is there any smoke of even the slightest bit? I dont know if they have a cat on this diesel or not, if it does have one then the smoke will be hard to see if at all since the cat will catch and burn it all. How is your fuel consumption? Is it less or more? Does the car have more power or less?

Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 AM

MazdaTirol - thanks for the reply

I am getting nearly 36mpg (36miles per 4.5ltrs'ish), which is less I think. As far as power goes then I think it struggles a bit (honestly not so sure on this).
As far as smoke goes then there is nothing even at high revs. The exhaust spout also has no residue of soot, appears clean.

I will try and see if I can take out the intercooler. BTW for oil to go into intercooler it needs to go thru turbo, so do you think the turbo compressor side seal is knackered? If so then if I take out the boost pipe, it should show signs of oil leakage, right? Just working out which is the easier of two options.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 AM

Yeah you could try the boost pipe first, it should be very oily inside if something is leaking, if you do that try to wiggle the turbo compressor wheel and see if it moves any as well. Also check your PCV/CDR valve to rule it out. Only other thing I can think of is an external leak but if your not leaving drips then that is pretty much ruled out.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Hello MazdaTirol,

I had no luck with resolving the oil leak issue. I was looking for this PCV valve but could not locate it. Does the Mazda 6 2.0L Diesel has PCV valve?
Its close crankcase ventilation so the blowby from cylinder head goes straight to turbo inlet. Hence wondering if it does have PCV?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by symantec
Hello MazdaTirol,

I had no luck with resolving the oil leak issue. I was looking for this PCV valve but could not locate it. Does the Mazda 6 2.0L Diesel has PCV valve?
Its close crankcase ventilation so the blowby from cylinder head goes straight to turbo inlet. Hence wondering if it does have PCV?
Hi, i have a mazda 6 2006 TS diesel, on start up i get a few seconds of white/grey smoke coming from the exhaust. Also seems to be losing oil somewhere and the mpg's don't seem very good ( app 35mpg) Any ideas? Did you ever find out if there was a pcv valve? Cheers