Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Massive problem with Mazda 6 - 2009/Turbo Charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Default Massive problem with Mazda 6 - 2009/Turbo Charger

I have a Mazda 6, 2009 which is a 2 Litre diesel and currenty has 88,000 miles on the clock. Full service history.

The problem I have is that all of a sudden all power went when I was at traffic lights and now the car has started making loud whining noises everytime the accelerator is pressed, I have looked in the engine bay and the noise seems to be comming from the turbo charger. I still do not have any power.

- I have checked all hoses for air leaks and they are all fine.
- I checked my oil and noticed the oil marker was very close to the 'X' so I gave her an oil change with new filters thinking that might of been the cause, but no different.
- When I accelerate hard, which I did once, I had clouds of white smoke and when i put my finger in the end of the exhaust it was obvious it was oil that had come all the way through!

Question is...is this a turbo charger fault? I think it may well be but as they are very expensive I want to be sure. I also got a friend to put his computer on the car but no fault codes were found.

This is whats written on my turbo
Spec VJ360805
RHV426248M
RF7J

My engine number is RF7J10180

Where the hell can I get a replacement if this is the problem, can I get a refurb?

I have had a look on ebay and these numbers do tend to show up but for a Mazda 6 02-->05????

I'm confussed and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM

just having a look on the net, ive been reading that if the turbo charger has failed (which im pretty sure it has reading different posts) there will be a cause for this...and most people are saying it will be because of a blocked dpf (diesel particulate filter) Great!!...ill look forward to hearing any advise, lots of people say that they can be cleaned, others say they cant..

- how would i be able to check if it is blocked
- if it is blocked, would it have nackerd the turbo or am i getting a back pressure causing the turbo to whistle around and make noises

so so so glad im a heating engineer and not a mechanic lol

Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Your car is a diesel, hope you weren't reading gas turbo vehicles.

Found some posts on a diesel site:

Could be several things. A head gasket for 1, or if you are getting fuel in the water, then look for a cracked inj. cup.If a head gasket is the culprit, you will probably get water in a cyl. and the engine will lock up. If an injector cup is cracked, the cooling system will be sqturated with fuel. There are other possibilities, but not likely. Good luck.

Turns out the smoke was darker than I thought and the fault was the injector pump.

water in fuel system may be cause.

BEST ONE: from: Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story…

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include…
Faulty or damaged injectors
Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.
Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-08-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM

today i removed the turbo and it has oil in it...any ideas?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

Could be shaft seals or clogged oil return line. Oil changes should be more frequent with a turbo.
Found this to be a good read: Turbocharger Diagnosis & Repair

Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM

im getting confussed now lol

are we saying it might not be a faulty turbo?

i disconnected the exhaust so the fumes were not going through the exhaust and i still got the same whinning noise from the turbo, very little power when pressing the accelerator and when putting my finger into the turbo found fresh oil....

i disconnected the exhaust thinking it might be a blocked dpf back pressure but it didnt seem to do much...(not noticed any dpf light on the dash since ive owned the car) 8 months, but my partner does drive it more than me but i have asked her the question and she has not seen it either.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

I just responded to your saying there is oil in Turbo issue. You said there is oil in there. I am really not an expert with turbos. I am just forwarding info that i found.
Get as much input as you can. Don't be afraid to phone a shop or 2 either. Knowledge is wonderful, confusing and tricky. I really hope you don't have multiple issues, but guessing without someone really looking at it is just guessing.

Is that not under warranty? it's only a 2009!

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-09-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: warranty
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM

well i think the warranty will be 3 years and if so it run out on the 4th month of this year...:-(