Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Low/bouncing idle in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 10:15 PM
Default Low/bouncing idle in Drive

Hi,

Thanks in advance. 2006 Mazda 6 2.3L 5Speed.
Wondering if someone might shed light on this problem and suggest things to try. When I start it cold in the morning and stop at the first intersection in Drive the idle is annoyingly low and bounces a bit. Putting into Neutral raises the revs to a sensible level and stops the bouncing. The car also does this when right up to temperature - idles too low - again putting in neutral helps/fixes it.

I'm led to believe that an intake leak tends to puch revs higher whereas mine are dipping too low. Doing an ECU reset (disconnect battery for a while, then idle for 20mins) fixes the problem for about a week, then its back to the same issue. I haven't asked my mechanic to look into it but he told me that it is throwing no codes.

Thanks,
Simon

Old 02-04-2023, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Get your throttle body & MAF cleaned.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Get your throttle body & MAF cleaned.
Hello again grim! (You helped me before in these fora when I first bought this car 4 of 5 years ago! And I'm also in NZ). I haven't done the MAF but I have cleaned the throttle body - maybe I'll do the MAF if the problem isn't solved. I'll put pics below. Judging by the condition of it you might be right/have solved the problem.
As stated in the OP whenever I reset the ECU it gets better for a while, so I'll know in a week if it has solved the problem. But already it drives perfectly. One thing that is noticeably better is that I'm sure there is a little slack in the drivetrain - I think the gearbox somewhere as there is a perfectly reasonable amount of slack when I rotate the wheels when up in the air - which is most noticeable when going from slight engine braking to on throttle and vice-versa. This feels way better now, I think because when off throttle the engine isn't trying to idle so low.

One question I have is, how in the sam hell does carbon build-up occur in the engine intake. I mean, it's the intake!. Before engine filter, no problem. After filter, no problem. MAF sensor, no problem, Rubber duct to throttle body, no problem. Throttle body and south, problem!

Old 02-05-2023, 05:54 PM

Interestingly some tarnishing on the intake side did not come away. I would have thought the opposite would be true, but maybe the carbon build-up actually protects the engine-side surface from....windage damage, maybe. I also thought that when cleaned the butterfly might sit completely closed, but this did not happen. Obviously it is designed to be slightly open when 'closed'.

Old 02-13-2023, 03:20 AM

It's been over a week and still running very smooth. I call this a win. Thanks Grim!!