Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

key fob not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 PM

Hello all.

So the battery in my fob had been dead for about a year. I replaced it a few weeks ago. It worked fine for all of a week then went dead on me again. I remember it clearly, I unlocked the car on Saturday night to unload groceries and then Monday when I used the car again it was dead. Is it possible it was some sort of delayed reaction and I need to repair the fob like you guys have suggested in the other post? Or have I messed up the fob completely by not changing it for so long?

Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM

That had to be annoying going a year without a working key fob if you have a current Mazda with keyless start. What year is your Mazda?

It doesn't sound logical to have the key fob work for a week and die again. Does the second key fob work?

I am not an expert but I would try replacing the battery again (or swapping it with the battery from a working key fob) as the next step.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 PM

So I do not have the second key. It was lost in a move. Im wondering if that has anything to do with it? I have a 2013. No bells and whistles lol.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Default Doors lock/unlock but engine immobilized is on!

Hey guys,

I hope you can help here... I got a Mazda 3 2010 and I had a similar problem where I’ve taken the battery out of my key fob and replaced the plastic covers as they broke. I realized once all was done that the fob unlocks and locks the doors just fine but now the engine immobilized comes on and blinks red when I try to start the car. I don’t understand how that’s possible but I’ve tried these instructions on pairing the broken key again and nothing worked. I then disconnected the battery for a few minutes and that didn’t help either. I really want to avoid taking it in to the dealer if possible!

Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2019, 11:23 PM
Default ALSO Having problems programming.

So I have a 2005 Mazda 6 I 2.3L and bought a keyfob online and having serious issues getting remote programmed to car. I was able to get the key to program to the car but no luck with remote. I have done the instructions so many times and it's not working. When I press the button the twice the indicator blinks three times not sure if that's good or bad. I could use some help.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:32 AM

[QUOTE=skyvo;174375]Hey guys,

I hope you can help here... I got a Mazda 3 2010 and I had a similar problem where I’ve taken the battery out of my key fob and replaced the plastic covers as they broke. I realized once all was done that the fob unlocks and locks the doors just fine but now the engine immobilized comes on and blinks red when I try to start the car. I don’t understand how that’s possible but I’ve tried these instructions on pairing the broken key again and nothing worked. I then disconnected the battery for a few minutes and that didn’t help either. I really want to avoid taking it in to the dealer if possible!

Any suggestions?[May be a bit late as you posted in April but had a similar problem when replacing the outer key fob and found there was a weight in the original which could be transferred over. Suggest you check original if you still have it

Old 06-25-2019, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by nikhoop26
I tried this as my key won't work either but the doors will not lock or unlock manually while the door is open
Also found power lock on inside of drivers door will not operate with door open!
Used passenger door lock instead and removed key before pressing remote fob button - worked at second attempt!

My problem was remote would unlock but not relock car (no light when button pressed) had to use key so alarm not set. First attempt pressed lock button second time pressed unlock button.

Wait and see if it’s a permanent fix

Old 07-26-2019, 01:04 PM

Everything works until step 7. Remote does not repose to pushing buttons.

Originally Posted by Mazmart Trini
This. The fob will have to be reprogrammed.

"Step 1: Open drivers door and leave open.

Step 2: Lock and unlock the driver’s door using the power door lock switch on the door.

Step 3: Insert key into the ignition.

Step 4: Turn key to on position and return to off position. (IMPORTANT - use ON position NOT ACC position). Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. Leave key in the ignition.

Step 5: Open and close the driver’s door 3 times. (Door should be left open after this step).

Step 6: ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors.

Step 7: Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.

Step 8: Press any button on remote #2 (etc.) twice. Each time the ECU will respond by locking & unlocking the doors.

Step 9: Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series of door locks and unlocks."

Old 07-26-2019, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Truce, what year is your car?

How many keys & remotes do you have?

Old 07-27-2019, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Truce, what year is your car?

How many keys & remotes do you have?
Its a Mazda 6 2004. Sedan.
fob worked yesterday and then quit so I replaced battery. Now it won’t work.
I have one other key and fob. It hasn’t worked since I changed battery a year or two ago.

I followed all the steps. Car responded and doors locked etc.
But when I pushed button on key fob there was no response.

Many thanks for trying to help me !

Last edited by Truce; 07-27-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: key fob not working