Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

HELP, engine dead!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM

I'll put my comments in tan.

Originally Posted by bg17aw
Thank you guys.

PVC valve: is this a problem for 2.0l engines? I did put fully synthetic oil in, but still can't believe the PVC would leak so much in a few days.

It's a maintenance item, not a problem. But there were some Chrysler engines that managed to move all oil into the intake manifold and busted the rest of the engine. I never heard that of any mazda engine.

They took their time, it took them 1 hour to do the change. They returned to me the oil can with less then 1l in it, so I don't think they forgot to put oil in. Actually, I found the oil on my driveway, so it was oil inside. Very very clean oil.

So, how did it leave the engine? Where did it leak out? One thing that can happen is this: you remove the old filter and put on the new one. You must check the old filter to make sure the gasket came off with it. If the old gasket did not come off you have two gaskets there, and they will blow out!

Unfortunately, they already filled it up with oil, with the same filter in place. They started the engine, but it rattles.

Today I went to them and they changed the story, they said they are not sure it is the oil pump, but maybe is the "low end rattle" problem that is common on Mazda's ???? Really? Do you guys know anything about that one?

Did their lips move again? You want to collect evidence. If these guys have access to the evidence what do you think they will do with it? Hand it to you? You need a top qualified technician who has some understanding of legal issues to collect evidence for you. This is not about making the car run. It is about making these guys use their liability insurance to cover the financial consequences of their mistake. Use your UK motoring organization to find a technician, a lawyer or an arbitrator.

They said they cannot know what happened unless they would strip down the engine ! Yes, the low end rattle means your engine needs a complete overhaul. And they would like to have a way to wiggle themselves out of this.

I have one big argument though:

Is it oil under the car now? NO. Then it is obvious the oil went out the first time because of something you did.
-No, because you did not drive the car now.
-So what?
-Well if you drive the car, the oil will come out.
-Come out through where?
-Through "the seals".
-What seals? The head gasket? It is clean clean clean.
-Well, the seals, any seal in the engine.

Front seal: it will come out at the area of the pulley for the serpentine belt.
Rear seal: it will go into the bell housing, clutch area in a manual, torque converter area in an automatic.
Oil filter gasket: big mess in the oil filter area. And a slippery oil trace on the road.

Any comments on this little piece of dialogue?
Get a lawyer. Print this thread out and show it to them.

Last edited by tanprotege; 04-27-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM

The car's engine was incredibly smooth and quiet all along until the incident.
Telling me that it was something wrong with any component whatsoever that has nothing to do with their oil change and that it was a coincidence, sounds like a lie to me.

Telling me this is a common fault on Mazdas is a lie for sure.

However, due to the way things went, I could not be there before they had a chance to temper with the car.

But since the oil is not leaking now, it is obvious they screwed up.

Ideally, I would have looked under the car after the oil change to check for leaks, but I was very busy and the car was used by my girlfriend. I changed the oil in other cars myself, but this time, I thought I would pay (a lot, if you ask me) to avoid the trouble ! Now look in how much trouble it got me.

But I live in a rented place and I do not have anything to keep the car raised. I used a high sidewalk on the road for previous oil changes, far from ideal, very uncomfortable, and people looking at me curiously... oil getting up my sleeves, on my face sometimes... However, I had piece of mind that the job was done correctly.

I guess it's lesson learnt... if you can, do it yourself.

I am now left without a car and these cowboys laughing probably.