Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by oldeng
Sounds as if bad chassis ground in the headlight area is the culprit. Clean the headlight connector assembly with contact cleaner, and plug/ unplug a few times to shift the crud.
Switch the lights on, then go around the light area and beat on it (don't smash lamp) to see if brightness changes.
If no dice, locate the headlight relay in the fusebox and do the same. The headlight relay issue is more likely to be coil or contact related, so relay problems are usually on or off, not flickering intensity. Bulbs are highly unlikely to be the culprit.
Thanks for the advice. My specific problem isn't flickering intensity, but rather on-off, so I'll be targeting the headlight relay in the fusebox. I'll report back if it helped

Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Default mazda3 2004 head light problem

I change my HID 3500k light and my head head light wont work anymore. I put back the original HID light and it did'n fox the problem.\r\nI unplug and replug the batterie and no change.Now my rpm is bucking when im at a stop.
Plz help me.
Ps. Its a Mazda3 2004.
Thank you

Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Hi everyone... I have the same problem as many of you. After much readying I found out what seems to be the problem. The Mazda 6 (2002-2008) has a problem with the ignitor (inside the headlight unit). Mazda will not replace that piece by itself and will only replace the entire head unit. Changing the Xenon light nor the ballast (actually called control unit) underneath the headlight does not help. BMW E46 uses the same system so you can actually get the ignitor separately but it is hard to find. I have ordered it and hope to be able to replace it shortly (to fix the same problem most of you have). The original ignitor from BMW will cost around 340 Euros but I found it for cheaper.

That is what I found after searching for days. I do not spend like spending 600 Euros for getting it fixed when I can (hopefully) do it for 50.

Hope this helps someone...

Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 AM
ps3

My left headlight finally gave up, and car was due for a service anyway, so in it went to the Mazda garage.

The technician there said he'd run diagnostics, and that I just needed 2 new D2S HID bulbs. Here's the best bit - I asked how much to replace them, while they had the car - £233.69 !! Each!!!! £467.38 to replace a pair of headlight bulbs? I've never paid that for 4 new tyres!
(Apparently, £160 + £34.50 labour + VAT for each bulb)

Anyway, they can be had for £20/pair from Hong Kong (on ebay) - guessing they're Far East clones, so went for the safer bet - Philips originals @ £45 each from powerbulbs.com (they also threw in a pair of spare sidelight bulbs for free).

I was going to change them yesterday, but what a PITA getting into the units to do it!

Checked online for step-by-step instructions, and found this:
http://www.mazdaclub.net/mz3ws/esico...851030W02.html
Which details removing the front bumper and entire light unit.

Is that really necessary, or is there an easier way?

(However, after reading the rest of this thread, I'm doubting it's going to help much)

Cheers..

Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 PM

hi
got the same problem with my 05 sport flickering right headlight , and goes out .this should be a recall , because its a safety issue. can we get these cars recalled ?

Old 10-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Default light trouble

any one had any luck fixing the headlight problems

Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM

I know this thread has been quiet for a while but I stumbled upon it doing research as to why 2005 Mazda 6 seems to EAT headlight bulds. At one point my headlights were flickering occasionally and on about the 4th trip to the dealer they said that 2 of the 5 (?) maybe 6 grounds on the car were bad. Once this was fixed many of the electrical problems with the car including the flickering headlights were fixed.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 AM

I had the same problem on my 04 6, after changing out 3 sets of bulbs and $100 later I took it in the dealer. They researched the problem back to a bad fuse. It was replaced for about $70. Haven't had any problems since! Good Luck

Old 02-11-2010, 03:49 AM

hi
which fuse is this so we can all check it out
cheers
mark

Old 02-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Default Headlight / Electrical Problems

2006 Mazda 6

My headlight problem started a few weeks ago. The left light didn't come on when I started the car, but came back on when I hit bumps twice. Then both lights didn't come on when I started the car (after they were both on when I turned the car off the previous night). Thankfully when I hit a bump going down the road the left light came on. When I parked, I went over to the right side and hit the headlight assembly and the light came on - thought that only happened with old tvs. Now the left side is out again and won't come back on.

I also had the lights behind the blower and temperature **** inside the car go out. A month later, the one **** is now lit again.

Finally, another odd thing that happened was when I replaced the battery, the passenger side window wouldn't go up/down with the driver's side controls (passenger side controls worked). Magically, that too started working after a couple weeks. With the headlight problem, I decided to check the fuses and also disconnect, clean, and reconnect the battery thinking the changing of the battery started all these problems. Guess what - the passenger side window doesn't work again.

Someone please help. My car knowledge is poor. Is this a grounding problem like others have had? I went to Pep Boys and they said it was $70 per hour to try and find the problem but it would be a tedious process. I figure the dealer might be worse, but at least they may have seen the problem.

Last edited by firstfed; 02-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight problem