Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Gear box jumping ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Default Gear box jumping ???

hi there

please be easy with me this is my first post, i am also not a petrol head and a self confessed ignoramuras when it comes to cars , so please bear with me!!!

i have a mazda 6 estate1998cc registered april 2003 andover the last six months or so i have noticed that-
- when i accelerate gentley in 5th gear i can feel the gear lever starting to move back.
-when i accelerate HARDin fith gear, the gear lever actually jumps out of gear.

I took the car to a Mazda agency and they said that the problem related to a problem previously highlighted in a technical bulletin.He said that a mazda kit was availiable from mazda and that a 10 hour labour allowance was availiable to repair the problem.

However he explained that , whilst he was actually looking at the bullletin on his pc , he was unable to actually print it as it was the intelectual property of mazda.He said i should speak to mazda head office customer services.

When i spoke to Mazda they checked their records and completely contradicted the original agency , and flatly denied that my year and model was subject to any such bulletins and that the problem must be due to simple wear and tear.

I have subsequently googled for the problem but whilst finding bulletins, i cannot find anything relating to this particular problem.

Please can somebody advise me on this issue or alternatively as to how i can take this matter forward.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Default RE: Gear box jumping ???

My 2.0D TS2 exhibits exactly this behaviour. I had the 'box rebuild 14 months (18,000 miles)ago and it's been perfect ever since... until a week ago when it jumped out of gear on the A1. Now it's back to how it was pre rebuild - knocking back slightly every time 5th is engaged and jumping out to neutralfrom time to time.

The lack of complaints about this on the web makes me think that it's not a common problem so rather than another go at a £1000 rebuild I think I'm just going totake my chances witha second hand 'box this time - anybody got any reliable sources for supply and fit in the (east of) England?