Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Destroyed my front end...ABS issue...I think.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Default Destroyed my front end...ABS issue...I think.

Hey there everyone, this is my first time posting here and I am glad to see so many people enjoying their cars; including me - that is until yesterday.

I have (had) a 2004 Mazda 6 GT-I4 and have absolutely loved it. I live in Alberta, so our winters get pretty crazy. I have a set of Blizzaks WS-50's mounted on 15" steel wheels and have been amazed at the traction.

yesterday, after driving my wife and child home, I was a block away from work when the accident happened.

I was only doing about 35 kmh, and about to turn right...a semi pulling a trailer was ahead in my lane and had a green...I was coasting when I realized that he wasn't moving - apparantely he was trying to go, but too icy - I applied the brakes only to have them freeze up...no abs; no ability to steer - I had tried to lean over and hit the snow drift on the curb and had a car on my left - I tried letting off the gas and applying again and same thing...no ABS...I destroyed the front end and am waiting for the adjuster to determine the extent of the damage. By the way, I skidded for about 60 to 80 feet.

The problem with the lack of abs has happened a couple of times, but never thought anything of it because I didn't hit anything....

Has anyone else experience their ABS failing on them? The only reason I ask is because I have gone 16 years without an accident and don't drive like an idiot. I truly had no control of my car, and couldn't even steer out of the skid because all my tires were locked...I even tried using the E brake to slide the back end out.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Default RE: Destroyed my front end...ABS issue...I think.

The ABS's ability to perform is relative to the amount of traction available in a given situation. It is also much more effective at higher speeds than lower ones. Your description indicates a minimal traction situation combined with lower speeds where the ABS is less effective. Long story short? You slid on ice, man! It sucks,but it is not likely that your car is to blame. Sorry for your luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 AM

I read that in newer, high-end cars (Mercedes-Benz I believe was one) the activation of ABS is no longer noticible, i.e. no more violent pedal pulsation like in older '80s and '90s cars. Does anyone know if this is the case on an '04 Mazda6? I've only had my '04 Mazda6 for about 3 months, and have been lucky enough to not have to invoke the ABS! So I don't claim to know how it behaves.

The other consideration is that you were on ice...thus, ABS helps, but isn't capable of miracles! Please post back and let us know if your ABS was found to be faulty or not. Cheers,

David

Old 01-16-2007, 02:28 AM

I think they make the ABS less noticible so to prevent some people from being scared by the violent pulsation and let off the brakes.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:35 AM

like david said, abs is not a miracle worker. Driving in ice, as you should know, is entirely different from regular pavement, for which abs systems are calibrated. There's only so much it can do. It sounds like you noticed quite abruptly that the semi wasn't stopping, so I'd assume this was kindof a panic stop, in which case you probably jabbed the brake pedal harder than you think, and, even with abs, that's going to make you skid in ice. I think in cases like that the best thing you can do is downshift (drop A/T to 2) and try to easily engine brake. I am just speaking hypothetically, I've never driven in ice or snow, so this is the best I can do.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:41 AM

JBix, your right. ANY car is uncontrollable on ice. no matter how fancy the electronic aids.

and davidteachy, ull know FOR SURE when abs is activated in our mazda6's. We got a dusting of snow here just today, and i slammed on the brakes. felt the pulsating pedal and the typical abs noise.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 AM

sin6racer,

Hah! It's funny that you mentioned that. We got snowy/icy roads here yesterday morning (1st time in about three years!), and I hadseveral opportunities to invokethe ABS. It worked as it should, with my foot down hard and the pedal pulsating away. So I know it works...woo hoo! Cheers,

David

Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 PM

ice=no good no matter what! Sorry for your accident!