Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

debadging the mazda

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Default debadging the mazda

has anyone here debadged there mazda. I spoke with my dealership and the body shop if they take them off it usually scratches the car and they have to buff it out. is this true or is there a way to do it without scratching, i also had someone tell me to use fishing line and saw back/forth behind the badge to cut the foam tape. any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Default RE: debadging the mazda

I debadged my car last month and i had to wet sand it and buff it. Its not a lot of work for the look u get. I feel it is worth the time and effort.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:23 PM

how exactly did you take the badges off the car, where you able to get the one out of the grill as well. I actually want to paint mine black and put them back on.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:37 PM

I used a razorblade and rubbing alcohol. To put them back on i used double sided tape and trimmed out the emblems. Pretty easy if u think about it. As long as u dont scratch to deep u can sand it with 1000 grit sand paper(wet sand).The fishing line idea doesnt sound bad. it cant hurt.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:49 PM

I think I might try the fishing line idea before the razorblade, I think the fishing line would have a less possible change of scratching the paint since its not sharp. I know someone who used a plastec spatula and goo-gone along with a hair dryer to get them off of a Yukon and that left no scratches. were you able to take the badge out of the grill as well?

Old 01-22-2006, 01:09 AM

The badge in the grill just snaps in. Remove the grille from the front fascia (should be just a couple of bolts, and maybe some "hidden" tabs to get the grille out. There should be 4 snaps around the perimeter of the emblem. Easiest way to get it out is use popsicle sticks and shove them into the snap features one at a time so that the tabs dis-engage from the grille. Then just pop out the emblem.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:45 AM

ahh, I see. thanks for the info, I think I will try that this week and take pictures of it before and after and post it on the forum. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:45 AM

ahh, I see. thanks for the info, I think I will try that this week and take pictures of it before and after and post it on the forum. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:02 AM

THE SPATULA IS THE WAY TO GO .... THE PUTTY APPLICATOR SPATULA .... IF YOU USE FISHING LINE YOU WILL HAVE A HARDER TIME TAKING THE FOAM OFF THE PAINT THAT IS LEFT

Old 01-25-2006, 05:11 AM

I debadged and rebadged my car myself. (I still have yet to take the photos of that...) But anyway, I used a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive and pulled the badges off with my fingers. There was still some adhesive left on the paint when I got the badges off. So, I used Goof-Off. It took awhile to get it all off, but it did the job. I then took a bucket of car wash soap and water, and washed the area I used the Goof-off on to remove the chemicals. I then dried it and applied a coat of wax. Then I put the new Atenza badge on. The whole process took me about 45 minutes total. Quite easy...no scratches.

Quick Reply: debadging the mazda