Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Cooling fan keeps running-motor hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Default Cooling fan keeps running-motor hot

2006 Mazda 6, Sons girlfriend drove thru high water and broke off one of the fan blades on the cooling fan.
Took to repair shop, they said the radiator also had a leak. They replaced the cooling fan and radiator.

They called and said the cooling fan is running too fast, another words it stays on all the time, also the engine is running too hot.

I went by and spoke with them about it and they said could be the cooling fan module and they would continue checking the problem.

Reading on the internet this has been an issue with Mazda.

Would this make the car run too hot?

They said the motor is getting up to 230 degrees.

Thanks for any help

Old 06-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Banned

3.0 V6 OR 4 banger?
Sounds like something clogged and poor circulation.
Coolant Fluid should have been flushed and filled twice by now, more if changed over to cheaper green stuff.
Earlier 3.0 V6 engines: coolant contamination caused by rust and corrosion in the coolant pipes that snake around the engine. This is often the result of coolant neglect. Cleaning and flushing the system can get rid of the gunk, but it won’t stop the corrosion inside the steel pipes. Replacing the pipes is recommended to halt the rusting problem.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-27-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

2006 should be the facelift & filled with long-life FL22 coolant which is good for 10 years or 200,000kms / 120,000 miles.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Banned
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
2006 should be the facelift & filled with long-life FL22 coolant which is good for 10 years or 200,000kms / 120,000 miles.
Not according to this manual from Mazda. 168,000 km OR 5 years. And it says Mazda 6! After that every 2 years! Know your stuff, the excuse of it being different in another region is getting old. That works for emissions, not for main stuff like coolant and engine blocks which are pretty consistent.

Attached Thumbnails Cooling fan keeps running-motor hot-mazdaserviceschedule.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-29-2015 at 07:28 AM. Reason: OR
Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 AM

mazda 6 is not my area of expertise, BUT, sounds to me like air in the cooling system. needs to be properly bled. i went thru this a long time ago with one of our millenias. tried all the regular stuff, park on an incline, refill after each heat cycle, lisle funnel tool, none worked. finally, i got the uview vacuum fill system, and that is the ONLY way i fill cooling systems now. very popular in shops. fills the system 100%, dont have to refill after heat cycles, pulls open the thermostat so it fills everywhere. you need shop air for this tool. if a shop dont have a vacuum fill tool, i would go elsewhere.

Bottom-line pricing on UView 550000 at ToolTopia.com

Old 06-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

JR70895, where in the world are you?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like different markets have either different coolant or different life spans.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Banned
Thumbs down

Looks like different markets have either different coolant or different life spans.
WOW! Sounds like a good excuse, why don't you post a picture of the 2006 scheduled maintenance for Australia, so we can see if you are telling the truth. Not some schedule for 2012. Doubt Australia is any different than USA/Canada.
My honest opinion of these maintenance items is that they are too late, and should be done sooner, perfect example on this sheet (that I was given when I purchased my Mazda 6 in 2006): transmission fluid and PCV valve. All manufacturesrs are pushing the limts so they can claim "low maintenance".
According to this schedule, the automatic fluid should never be changed on a Mazda 6 Automatic transmission. That is the most ridiculous statement i've ever heard.
You nead to read this article that discusses auto tranny fluid temps and longevity and they zero on 1 that says it's good for 100,000 miles: http://trucksplusauto.ca/transmission-fluid-flush-tips
Here is a quote from that article: "As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half! At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles.
According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced. On most vehicles, the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by a small heat exchanger inside the bottom or end tank of the radiator. Hot ATF from the transmission circulates through a short loop of pipe and is thus "cooled." Cooling is a relative term here, however, because the radiator itself may be running at anywhere from 180 to 220 degrees F."
If this is the case for an automatic tranny fluid that never needs scheduled replacing, according to Mazda, what is the reality for coolant!
I am warning all car owners, get your maintenance done sooner as opposed to later. You know the old saying "Pay me now, or Pay me Later". Usually the later costs more money!

Attached Thumbnails Cooling fan keeps running-motor hot-mazdaserviceschedule.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-29-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: my opinion
Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

PDF for Service schedule & PDF for FL22

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service II.pdf (86.4 KB, 192 views)
File Type: pdf
FL22.pdf (99.3 KB, 1936 views)
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

PDF for Service schedule & PDF for FL22
Wow! It does say 10 years for Australia for Mazda 6, 5 years after that. You have supported your claim and supported my theory:
Mazda is pushing buttons for low maintenance. I would never trust any coolant for that long because that's just ridiculous.
It's too bad you are in Australia as not too many people from Australia actually asking for help on this forum. This also shows the importance of putting in your location in "User CP" under "Edit Details". It really makes it difficult to respond to questions on this forum, especially when most newbies don't post there location.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan keeps running-motor hot