Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Contemplating a 'refresh'

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 PM
Default Contemplating a 'refresh'

Evening all - new poster here.

I'm presently on my second Mazda 6 - 2010 S Touring (V6). My previous was a 2004 Wagon (also V6). I purchased my current one used with about 30K miles and I've put 80K on it. I really enjoy driving this car - but since I'm maintaining a one-car-per-driver household, whatever we drive has to be rock solid reliable...which this car has been so far.

My 2004 mazda started showing signs of age around 125K, and by the time it got to 160K, I had to let it go. While it's possible I could get another 90K miles of trouble free operation from my current car, it's not likely to happen without a bit of investment.

I've been watching Mazda's product line with interest the past two years, figuring I would get another used Mazda 6 coming in off a lease in about two more years. However, I'm very disappointed that Mazda has decided to ditch the V6 option on this car.

That being said, I've been looking at grabbing a 2013 Grand Touring with as low miles as I can find to hold me over on my V6 fix for at least another 4-5 years. By then, perhaps turbo charged 4's may have more muscle..?

The other option I've been contemplating is to chuck it and just get a new Mazda 3 with the larger 4-banger. It wouldn't be a bold as my V6, but it should be spirited enough - and handle much better than my current car (which isn't as good as my older 2004 for that matter).

What I'm curious about are a few things:

1. Aside from increasing the wheel/tire size from 2010 to 2013, are there any other under the hood improvements that were made? I've got to think that handling is improved out of the gate with a more aggressive tread. I also know that some car companies make continuous improvements - even within a current production run.

2. If I was to go the route of the Mazda 3, are there any enhancements to get a few more horses out of that 4 banger. I probably wouldn't tinker with anything until the warranty has expired, but it couldn't hurt to think ahead.

Thanks for reading.

-Gary