Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Center dash panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Default Center dash panel removal

Hey guys I need some help!!!!. We have a 2004 mazda 6 I need to remove the center console panel. WHY!! Let this be a quick lesson to ALL. This is my wifes car she had one of those bottle air freshners on center vent. Well this stuff leaked out and ran down dash . So when I tried to wipe it off GUESS what off comes the paint on the plastic. I need to remove center console , ashtray and gear shift piece to respray. I have read some of your post so far please tell me the easiest one . Or should I just break down and go to a Stereo shop and have them pull the 3 pieces. Hopefully I could put them back on. I read something about gearshift **** removal to put car in neutral . Any help at this time would be greatly appreciated Thanks Greg Christian[8D]

Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Default RE: Center dash panel removal

It's not too bad.

[ul][*]Pull straight up on the cupholder panel, it should pop out.[*]There are tabs between the cupholder panel and the shifter panel, detach those (tabs push from front side (towards radio) rearward.[*]Unscrew your shift **** and put the tranny in "N"[*]Pull Ashtray panel/shifter bezel back away from radio panel and up. You'll also have to disconnect a couple of wire harnesses (lightbulbs in the shifter bezel as well as the lighter socket/powerpoint.)[*]Once all of those are out, remove the (2) screws along the bottom edge of the radio and pull straight back from the Inst Panel, radio should come out.[*]Remove harnesses from rear of radio to get radio the rest of the way out.[/ul]

Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 AM

Do not forget that you have to remove the glove box to gain access to the one 10mm bolt that holds the radio in at the rear. That on is kind of a PITA to get to. Do not drop it.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 AM

I dont need to remove radio just center console , ashtray, and gear shift cover. I will be repainting those parts only. Thanks for the help Greg[8D]

Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM

i got the cup holder and ash tray out removed the screws underneath and it didnt just pop out let me tell you i scratched the hell outta my dash tryin to get it out and had to stop because i was afraid to break it

Old 03-23-2008, 07:26 PM

I decided rather than risk screwing it up more. I order a carbon fiber dash kit to cover up marks on dash. I think it looks fairly neat blends in with carbon fibre pieces that are already in car. Check out Ebay if you screw your console up. Cost me around $100 for kit .[8D]SEee Ya Greg