Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Car jerking during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Default Car jerking during acceleration

Morning All. I just got my hands on a 5 speed manual 04 Mazda 6 with 122k miles. I got it from a used car dealer and its VERY clean. I was able to get a 3 month/3000 mile warranty on it.

I am having issues with my car jerking when I'm accelerating. At first I thought it was just me getting used to driving stick again and when I would shift it would throw my foot into the pedal causing the jerking. It happens less when I shift at higher RPMs but I can still notice it a little. I thought maybe the injectors could be clogged so I'm gonna get some injector cleaner and use that the next time I fill up. My CEL is not on and I have not noticed any difference in warmer/colder temps and I have been using unleaded gas. Any ideas on what it could be or odds and ends I could check that would effect my throttle/acceleration? Thanks!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Update : So I noticed it was happening when the engine was under 3K RPMS. If I press on the pedal lightly it doesnt jerk but when I try to drive more aggressive it does. I did get some fuel system cleaner that I put in with a full tank last night and it seems to be running a little better with the minimal amount of driving I have done but I want to get through this tank completely to see results. Any one got any other ideas?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM

Petrol I assume?

Give her a service if she hasnt been and take the plugs out to see if they are any good or if she's running rich or lean.

Could be 02 sensors as these are generall only supposed to last 100K

Leads can give similar problems

Without knowing the actual engine very difficult to make reasoned guess.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ggsumo
Petrol I assume?

Give her a service if she hasnt been and take the plugs out to see if they are any good or if she's running rich or lean.

Could be 02 sensors as these are generall only supposed to last 100K

Leads can give similar problems

Without knowing the actual engine very difficult to make reasoned guess.
You can us this link to help read your spark plugs.
NGK Spark Plugs USA

Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM

Sorry, posted in wrong thread...

Last edited by parcou; 04-11-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Thumbs down ditto

I've had the same experience. I bought the car new in 2004. Once in a while, when I take off from a light & then need to slow down quickly (due to others in traffic), my car jerks so hard it feels like I've been hit. I've looked around & realized I'm the only one there.

I've been able to "deal with" this issue by accelerating slower - especially in traffic - or by using the manual transmission mode (vs automatic).

If it's any consolation, the longer I've had the car, the less often it happens.

Today, I had the throttle body replaced due to a quite scary issue - while driving on the freeway, the car just "shuts down." The TCS light comes on & the car just started slowing down on its own. Scary!! anyone else experiencing this??

Old 03-27-2023, 01:00 PM

Car jerking when acceleration reasons and solutions. Read Here

Old 03-27-2023, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by shnayx2
I've had the same experience. I bought the car new in 2004. Once in a while, when I take off from a light & then need to slow down quickly (due to others in traffic), my car jerks so hard it feels like I've been hit. I've looked around & realized I'm the only one there.

I've been able to "deal with" this issue by accelerating slower - especially in traffic - or by using the manual transmission mode (vs automatic).
A few things, I would recommend to start your own personal thread about your problem. That way people reading will read only your concern not to be confused with the original OP problems. This is also a very old thread look at the creation date. 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM
Then it also helps to know miles engine size and model Mazda.

If it's any consolation, the longer I've had the car, the less often it happens.

Today, I had the throttle body replaced due to a quite scary issue - while driving on the freeway, the car just "shuts down." The TCS light comes on & the car just started slowing down on its own. Scary!! anyone else experiencing this??
Originally Posted by fahad0
Car jerking when acceleration reasons and solutions. XXX read here
I highly recommend NOT to use that site you provided. I edited out of your quote so no one uses my response to access it. However use if you are a Automotive Hypochondriac
ASE

Last edited by Callisto; 03-27-2023 at 02:37 PM.