Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Camber Kit necessary when lowering car???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Default Camber Kit necessary when lowering car???

Ok sorry if I sound totally newb to this but, from what I remember when lowering a car, isn't it necessary to have a camber kit installed so that one would prevent their carfrom havingunusual tire wear on the edges or keeping the wheels from butterflying?

I have a 6i 2.3L and was possibly planning on lowering my car just for sheer looks and "some" better handling. I have1 main concern... Do I need to have a camber kit when installing springs for my car??? Has anyone ran into problems with tire-wear with their lowered 6's without it???

I am the type that if I am going to dish out money on springs then it better look like I lowered it cleanly (even if that means getting a camber kit). So I think I will be going with the S.Tech TEIN springs that offer a 2.3inch drop in front and 1.4inch drop in back. H.Tech's are cool don't get me wrong, but 1.5inch in the front and 1inch in the back just doesnt seem enough for me to want to dish out $200+ for such a mild drop. To tell you the truth, 2.3inches in the front is a tad too much for me.If onlyit were a solid 2inch in front and 1.5inches in the back. That would be perfect. Oh well.

Here is a picture of a 6 from the TEIN website for the S.Tech's

P.S. You know what, the 6's do look nice withouta spoiler too! For example, this car. Very clean I might add but onlyIF the car was lowered. If not lowered, I agree the 6's look nicer with spoilers.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Default RE: Camber Kit necessary when lowering car???

2.3/1.4 -- is that true? That's a big difference. It's not the other way around?
The general rule is that under two inches you won't need a camber kit but expect
the tires to wear more on the inside, certainly.
2.3 in the front I would think is going to cause excessive wear especially if you plan on
running any kind of soft-compund performance tire.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 PM

in all honesty you dont need the S tech springs.. if your going to put a system in your trunk go with the H tech since it lowers the rear less it will allow for more play when you got weight in your trunk i think it comes out looking perfect. If your not going to put a system in your trunk go with the eibach kit. I know people with the eibach kit and then when they add weight in their trunk the car looks slammed and it rides on the bump stops too much. hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:53 PM

I believe thats the correct spec for the TEIN springs. Here is the link.

http://www.tein.com/ti/m70.html

So you're saying either way its going to chew up the inside of the tires? More so ifover 2 inches. Well dang, I am definitely not going to lower my 6i unless I know for sure it can be done without chewing up the insides. Then again, it goes back to my whole question which I think you just answered. So camber kit is basically necessary unless you dont mind going through tires like crazy, which I do mind.

With that being said, has anyone had a camber kit installed when lowering their 6? Or should I ask,are you guys having problems with the inside tread-wear without the camber kit?

Also where to purchase one and are they expensive and a pain to install?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Daishi

and it rides on the bump stops too much. hope this helps.
What do you mean exactly? Rides on the bump stops? Are you saying the Eibachs are smoother over the speed bumps? Please ellaborate. And yes this is helping me a lot so far. S.Tech's I can get for $160 out the door though. Worth it? Don't know how much the H.Tech's are... hopefully in the same price range if not I'd probably go with the S.Tech or I'll look into the Eibach's.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Not sure about the 6, but I dropped my 3 with Eibach Prokit springs. Ended up 1/1.2" The rear camber stock is -1 degree, after the drop it was -2.1 degree (edge of specification), after I installed the camber links it was right back at -1. I'm getting 45,000 miles out of my tires with regular rotation. (I could have gone longer mileage if it wasn't winter)

Old 03-06-2007, 11:31 PM

sweet, that's a pic of my car!!

the way our suspension is setup, you don't need any sort of camber kit. in most cases, the stock front setup is so un-aggressive, that it helps even things out a bit more. rears are adjustable, so that's an easy one, but given there is no adjustment for the front....you dont' have to worry about anything. i've run a 3" drop for a fair amount of time without issues. i think therpmstore.com does carry the only camber kit available for the front if you do want a solution for having things adjusted up front though.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:33 PM

Well since the eibach kit lowers the rear more and if your going to be putting a system in your trunk and adding weight then when you have passengers in the back seat it will lower the car even more. there are rubber stoppers in the back preventing you from going too low on suspension travel and damaging your suspension. I was just saying if your planning on putting a system in the back go with the H tech since it lowers the back slightly less so when you add weight your car wont look slammed in the back it will look just rite..

Old 03-06-2007, 11:44 PM

i've seen it, the TEIN's in the rear work really well with a system. looks perfect after the system was installed.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:09 AM

How cool is that? Your ride? Sweet. So Mr. Tea let me see if I can get this right, you're saying the rear stock suspension in our cars are adjustable or are the rear TEIN springs adjustable?

Sweet so no camber kit needed huh? Cool. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Now where do you guys suggest I go to install this for a good deal? It's only labor. I wouldthink going to my local asian mechanic guybut he normally just fixes cars and I dont know if he's familiar with installing springs. I wouldn't see why he couldn't though since he has all the tools and instructions provided. Also, sohow are the S.Tech's Mr. Tea? Is it a nice ride? Is much of the comfort sacraficed from stock springs?Recommend?

Quick Reply: Camber Kit necessary when lowering car???