Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Anyone here using aftermarket seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Default Anyone here using aftermarket seats?

I have been looking at this site... http://www.injectedperformance.com/S...amp;TopCatID=1

In particular the Recaros and Sparcos. Anyone here use these products in their Mazda or another car and know if they are worth the money and comfortable? I noticed they do not mention any brackets/sliders which I assume would be necessary with one of those seats.

I think the Mazda 6 gives off a very high end German car experience but comes with the cheapest, hardest seats I have ever sat in.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Default RE: Anyone here using aftermarket seats?

I've got stock seats in my 3, but I have Corbeau Racing suspension seats in my Bronco & they are super comfortable.

Price is $470 for the pair with tracks, for any of these seats you're going to have to make some custom bracketry to mount the tracks to the floor.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...eed_center.htm

Old 02-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Cool, so then basically any aftermarket seat could be made to fit? I assume a good uppolestry shop could do the install?
Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Not sure if an upholstery shop could do it or not, you want to make sure that whatever bracketry you use, it's strong enough to hold up in a crash.

You can make anything fit anything if you try hard enough and have either the right tools or enough money.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:22 PM

only 2 people i've seen with aftermarket seats, had shops custom make brackets for them. both were show cars though, never put them to any use really

Old 02-07-2007, 07:51 PM

If you're looking for a "softer" seat than what comes in the Mazda6 stock, you'll most likely need to have custom seat covers made up with additional padding.

Racing seats are going to be stiffer than your stock seats, and the stock seats would be of similar stiffness to what you would find in a European car (fairly stiff & supportive)

Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. I never thought of a custom seat cover, that would probably be cheaper than aftermarket seats + labor and more comfortable!
Thanks, Ill let you know how I make out, hopefully I can keep it under $500

Old 02-07-2007, 09:41 PM

I had a set of custom seat covers made for my 3 that ran me $300 (front and rear seats). There wasn't any padding involved, and they already had the patterns for the 3 seats. I installed them myself and they look great.

A custom job would run a fair bit more (your estimate of $500 would probably be pretty close I would think.) Being an engineer, and one that works on seats, I would sit with the seats you have and add padding to a set of seat covers. That way you know your seat is securely attached to the vehicle.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:41 AM

Your not the first person to say that. Are aftermarket seats not as strong (attached) as factory seats? If so, that makes totally no sense to put in a good aftermarket racing seat if it doesnt hold up in a bad accident.
thanks

Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 PM

I have my Corbeau seats mounted into a full perimeter 12-point roll-cage w/5-point harnesses. I have no doubt I'll be fine with that type of mounting.

Now I also see some guys take these same seats and mount them to tracks that are available and bolt them to whatever steel they can find. It may work in some, maybe even most crashes, but I like knowing that factory seats have been repeatedly tested innumerous ways to make sure I stay inside the vehicle and secure in an impact.

Quick Reply: Anyone here using aftermarket seats?