Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Anyone buy a grill mask??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Default Anyone buy a grill mask??

Just wondered what you think of it? Is it easy to put? How does it look? Does it scratch paint?
Hoping to get someones opinion. Thanks!!

Old 07-04-2005, 05:11 AM
Default RE: Anyone buy a grill mask??

They look alright on some cars but there is 1 drawback. If you put it on and driving down the highway at 60mph, the dirt that's underneath the mask will collect and cause alot of swirl marks. Some masks don't stay perfectly still on the car, there is where the swirls come from. There also proned to holding moisture, causing rust to show up prematurely. I personally don't have a mask but I guess if you wanted to keep swirls and moisture trapment to a minimum is to everytime you wash your car, remove the mask and clean it seperatly from your car,,,,,AR

Old 08-26-2005, 03:58 AM

I personally would not use a mask, they take away from the nice looks of the vehicle. Don't you get noticeable paint variations because the mask blocks the sun meanwhile the rest of the vehicle get hit by sunlight?

Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 PM

I would advise against it. I had a "bra" on my first car-`83 Mazda 626. It left the paint underneath the bra cloudy or faded. Probably from the moisture that collects on the inside material touching the paint. If you have to have one, I would only use it to go on a long trip that is dry and warm. If you are going to "show-off" your car at car show, I know of a product that acts as a barrier for transporting yor gem. It is a temporary protection that will not mask the clean lines of the 6. I used it on my wife's minivan on our frequent trips to Vegas. Works well, even at 90,000 miles and black paint, the car looks pretty nice for a minivan. The product is called S-10 Bug Guard. Here is their site: http://www.prowax.com/specialty_prods.shtml

Old 11-21-2005, 09:22 PM

If you take a look at some of the newer lexus, mercedes, BMW, or infinities coming out they have an option of this sort of tack on shielding for the front of the cars. It looks like they welded a very thin piece of glass to the front bumper, headlights, and even the hood in some cases; but it's supposed to protect against any kind of rock/bug/minor impact to keep the paint nice. The sun will still shine on it and all but I'm unsure how long it will last/what it will look like when it starts to wear off. If anyone has any experience with that you should post back.

D to the B

Old 11-21-2005, 09:54 PM

Mask [sm=badidea.gif][sm=lame.gif]

Old 11-26-2005, 12:58 AM

yeah, bras are kind of a disappointment. they have you believing that they are good ideas, but when you start noticing the paint fade, then you get frusterated. also tend to lead to rusting much quicker because the moisture settles under the bra and has trouble getting out of it because it is a thick leather barrier. bras are a bad idea, both on cars and women heh heh

Old 11-27-2005, 03:33 AM

ORIGINAL: JKoolMann

If you take a look at some of the newer lexus, mercedes, BMW, or infinities coming out they have an option of this sort of tack on shielding for the front of the cars. It looks like they welded a very thin piece of glass to the front bumper, headlights, and even the hood in some cases; but it's supposed to protect against any kind of rock/bug/minor impact to keep the paint nice. The sun will still shine on it and all but I'm unsure how long it will last/what it will look like when it starts to wear off. If anyone has any experience with that you should post back.

D to the B
I'm not sure if you're talking the same as to what I have seen : these clear - coats (that are not all that clear when close to it) that seem sprayed on and are suppose to protect the beauty of your paint . YA RIGHT !!! This film makes the paint look so ...... YUKKY ! It defeats it's purpose !

Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 AM

oh i went off an a completely opposite topic. i was thinking of the leather covers that you place on top of your vehicle to protect it from bugs and rocks. yeah, i know what you are talking about now. is that the same as getting "Ziebarted"???? i know it is a full paint protection as well as an underbody protectant.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:58 PM
roo

Here's an alternative:

www.rockblocker.com

He has paint protection kits for almost any type of vehicle. I bought and installed one of his kits, and it works perfectly, without being obvious to the casual observer.