Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Air box mod questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Default Air box mod questions.....

I reciently did the air box mods. I removed the tuba,tray and flapper and installed a K&N panel filter. I plugged the tuba inlet hole and left the flapper hole open. After running the car a few days I decided to remove the resonator chamber and route a cold air hose from the lower valence (I cut a hole in the driver side lower valence 'grille'). I connected this to to inlet pipe that used to go into the resonator. I then covered the flapper hole. So, I have a pseudo 'cold air' system now with more growl.
I was wondering now if that pipe from the resonator is large enough to supply the air flow the engine needs. Should I open the flapper hole or maybe reinstall the Tuba? The Tuba hole looks to be the primary air inlet for the system and its somewhat larger than the resonator pipe. I was going to run the air hose from the valence to the tube hole, but I couldnt fit the hose against the fan cage w/o cutting into it somehow( plus it would get heated there ). Would it be better to just open up the flapper hole AND run the hose to the reso pipe too? Thanks

Last edited by Mt Airy Mazda; 07-08-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Pictures would be helpful here to understand exactly what you are asking, but it sounds like you are on the right track. Get as much outside ("cool") air into it as space will allow.

I did my own version of the airbox mod to my 3 while I was deciding (and waiting for a deal) on a CAI.

From my own experiences, don't expect miracles from either. The additional power/mileage is a mild improvement at best.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:49 PM

+1 on the pics. However from your description alone it sounds like you should be just fine.

-Cameron Keffer

Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Default thanks

Thanks for the replies. I decided to open up the flapper area again and the engine came back to life. I think just allowing the resonator inlet pipe to be the sole air source was too restrictive. I may cut out that area and allow the whole 3 inch hose to enter there, and then I can seal the flapper hole for good. There has definately been an increase in power and the extra engine throb is nice, under acceleration. I have checked the mileage yet, to see if its helped. Maybe not, with my foot being heavy after the mod.... Now, if I can just ease it around, the mileage may go up some, haha