Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2018 Turbo badging ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 03:58 PM
Default 2018 Turbo badging ?

Hi folks .. hoping someone can answer this easily. I'm in the market for a 2018 Mazda 6 2.5L Turbo. I'll be heading out in the next day or two to visit some used car lots that claim to have 2018s with Turbo. In Canada the GS-L trim comes in Turbo or non-Turbo engines. I have been looking around online and everyone seems to suggest that Mazda did not incorporate any Turbo emblem or badge to the vehicle. They say that the only way to tell a turbo from non-turbo is the size of the tail pipes ?

Is this the only way ?? Surely there must be some sort of indicator on the engine ? instrument panel ? VIN ? Something.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:07 PM

LOL the tail pipe size......

How to tell is an engine is Turbo charged?
Open hood.......... see....... TURBO or not see TURBO...

sorry this thread just set me to laughing don't take it personal.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:37 PM

I was referring to "Badging" .. Something visible on the car that I can point to and say .. "Hey guys look ! ... Turbo"

Old 06-15-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Swan
I was referring to "Badging" .. Something visible on the car that I can point to and say .. "Hey guys look ! ... Turbo"
Sorry I don't know about all the Mazda Turbo models but many platforms don't always "badge" what induction system they use.
I had to purchase "Badging" for one of my cars to install on the valve cover just for a mod. While another of my cars I removed all emblems that indicated it to be a TURBO.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Sorry I don't know about all the Mazda Turbo models but many platforms don't always "badge" what induction system they use.
I had to purchase "Badging" for one of my cars to install on the valve cover just for a mod. While another of my cars I removed all emblems that indicated it to be a TURBO.
Agreed, back in the 1980s there were Saab Turbos, Daytona Turbos, LeBaron Turbos..., back then having a TurboCharged engine was pretty cool. Now? Not so much.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Agreed, back in the 1980s there were Saab Turbos, Daytona Turbos, LeBaron Turbos..., back then having a TurboCharged engine was pretty cool. Now? Not so much.
Close to the end of 1979 I owned a the 1978 Buick Turbo Charged Grand National. During a short time I was pardoner with my friend and we engineered the first manual boost control device. Unfortunately the design got caught up in in trademark court over who actually engineered it first and it never went to market from anyone.But for a year I had one hell-of-a car. It was not really competitive with anything "blown (671) but that wooosh sound freaked out many people that cruised me and got slapped hard. In the 80's Turbocharged cars really actually sucked for performance at least for the major general public using them on the street, it was not until the 90's that they started to really show their worth..
As for my Turbo Grand National it still was not as quick as my then tow vehicle 1979 Monte Carlo with my built 391 sm.blk Chevy (yes that is the correct engine size ). I used that Monte Carlo to tow my 1968 Camaro S/G Race Car. If the Camaro broke I just ran the Monte Carlo in E.T. Brackets. ha!

Last edited by Callisto; 06-15-2020 at 09:09 PM.