Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2017 Mazda 6 Sound System Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Unhappy 2017 Mazda 6 Sound System Conundrum

So I just bought a Mazda 6 - Touring, and I love it. I have no issues with it. HOWEVER.....
I'm somewhat of an Audiophile. And more than half of my music, on my USB Dongle, is in FLAC format. As I got in my new car and started driving, I noticed something fishy with my music, and noticed that the sound system was not opening ANY of the FLAC files. It recognizes that they're there, but they're OBSCURED.
Surely enough, this got me riled up, and right now, I'm in the middle of several phone calls I've made to Mazda Dealerships in my area, to see if anyone has a solution to this.
So far, 3 dealerships, are completely ignorant as to what I'm talking about. However:
1 dealership told me that I'm unable to upgrade to the Bose Sound System. And ....that's as deep as he delved into my inquiry. He had no idea about FLAC files, and just said that, practically, in order to get the Bose Sound System, I'd have to trade to the Grand Touring car.
Another, Dealer No. 2, told me the same thing as Dealer 1.
Dealer No. 3 told me that a Navigation Software Update might work, and they gave me a link to download the update, and upload it to the car via SD Card. However, they were just as confused as the other 2 dealers, so, this tells me they were just asking the Parts department and mentioned my words "Firmware update", and Parts just referred them to the Nav Software update that is easily accessible.

Thus, so far:
1. No dealer can upgrade the Sound System to the Bose.
2. There might not be a practical solution to this.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed? Any suggestions for Solutions - that do NOT involve buying a 3rd Party Sound System?
Any other thoughts?

-Ron