Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2014 Mazda 6 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Default love it

So im not new to mazda either my first car was a mazda 626 then i tried a honda hated it moved to a 2010 mazda 6 and just in the past month got the new 2014 mazda 6 in black, the isport because I have only ever driven stick shifts. SO with all that said I was looking to do some things to my new black mazda 6. I know its most likely silly but I was thinking about lowering it like I did my other 6 an inch an a half maybe 2 inches depending on what effect it will have on the car. also wasnt sure if i'd be weird and maybe try to make the car similar to the way the racing version of it is in the catalog they give you with the car. So what do you think the effects of lowering the car would be to the way the car handles and performs with its new features and all. as well your opinions on the rear lip versus maybe a full on wing spoiler like from the catalog? and any other possible ideas to modification of the body/ performance. Again love what you did to your 6 looks really good

Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM

I went for a "less is more" approach. I love that race car but the looks of the car has to match its ability. The large spoilers remind me of the Civics that can't even push 120 MPH and all it does is put more drag on the car. Look at Aston Martins and Benz's, they are fast and most of them don't have towering spoilers. Of you are going for looks, go for it. If you are going for functionality, turbo the 4 banger or the 6-D and you may need that large spoiler. Lowering it will help with the tight turns and give you less body roll, but invest in a complete set up and be sure to get the right wheel/tire set up. There are "looks" mods and there are tuning mods...choose wisely and be happy. The goal is to look different from other Mazda 6's.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Default sound

Has anyone hear what our exhaust would sound like straight piped? (
) <<< straight piped but i heard he took resonator off and all too. I did that with my other 6 and sounded decent. would love to see if next couple months maybe someone could have a video of one with straight pipe or even a better exhaust. ya i know i don't think i could ever do the big spoiler, I would love to turbo it though, I just really with they had the RWD like they do for race cars they built. Thanks for the reply on my other post. Clarification on that though, what do you mean exactly by the right wheel/tire set, if I lowered it the inch or max i think almost 2 inches do you just mean don't be silly and try to have huge rims and that or do you mean something else?

Last edited by Stephen Sprague; 04-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:31 PM

There are all kinds of little factors that will help you determine what set up you need. For example, I wanted this car for work to take clients around and I wanted it to stay as stock as possible(ruined that plan). I also drive around Los Angeles with bad roads and pot holes the size of Texas. I also like to drive up in the mountains in curvy canyons and cruise on the coast. I have motorcycles for speed and I was after sporty, comfy, and MPG.
With that said, I knew I wanted 20s on the car before I even bought it. I wanted to fill up the wheel well and wider tires. My wheel guy asked, are you planning on lowering it? Ideal would have been 19", more options with 19s. But to get rid of stock 19" for after market 19" seems a waste. Plus 19 tires are expensive and the stock tires are great but I wanted wider. (I'm selling my stock 19" with tires for a screaming deal, BTW). So, 20" 40 series tires fill the well up nicely but I can't lower it with 40 series. I would need to go 35 or 30. If I got those for future lowering, the well gap would have been crazy. (I get wheel rub with 300+ lbs. loads, but I just have to turn slower and watch out for bumps. I have 245 (8.5") wide tires but I wanted a staggered set up with 10.5" or 9.5" wide in the read but I would have been pushing it.
So, take all the factors together and be realistic. I'm not going to race dudes on the FWY, I'm not going to the track, and the car has an elegance that looks great, not raced out. I have bakes that go faster than most Lambos for speed, this car is for work, but I wanted it to be Zoom Zoom fun! I'm in it everyday to commute in.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM

My pedals arrived today and I got to work installing them. These were aluminum pedals for a 2013 CX-5. These were made in China and from eBay. I had a $10 credit and $10 of eBay bucks, so it only cost me $15.50. These are the same ones sold by Mazda before the CX-5 logo is etched in and is only a quarter of the cost.
Name:  1366667094.jpg
Views: 5045
Size:  46.8 KB
Name:  1366667106.jpg
Views: 6057
Size:  101.5 KB
Name:  1366667100.jpg
Views: 5063
Size:  75.0 KB
Name:  1366667109.jpg
Views: 5022
Size:  73.1 KB

Last edited by Monkee; 04-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 PM

MONKEE, GREAT MODS. Super tasteful.

Im in between Mazdas. last one was an MX6, it was old and raw when I picked it up for a grand. Just needed a beater in a pinch to hold me over to the next ride. I got talked into a suzuki xL7 5 speed after that, and I hate it. I promised myself to a return to Mazda.

Been waiting for a next-gen Mazda to buy for my next long-term car. The 6 is it, although i'm holding out for the diesel.

I was wondering if you have tracked your mileage and noticed anything different after installing the K&N filter with power, economy, zip off the line, etc.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by apostle999
I was wondering if you have tracked your mileage and noticed anything different after installing the K&N filter with power, economy, zip off the line, etc.

Thanks!
Thanks, I also took out that tiny instrument light that Mazda used as a trunk light and replaced it with these nickel sized and just as thick LEDs that have 21 diodes in each. They come in pairs, so I installed 2 sets. That's 84 diodes that lights up the whole trunk. I also added a momentary/off/on switch andbypassed the truck latch automatic switch that used an existing hole, it's much better.

I average about 32 MPG. It's hard to drive economically because the 6 is so much fun to drive. I feel that the K&N filter changed the rev sound of the engine, better throttle response and feels more free flowing. I am still waiting for the Injen intake and I can't wait to rip out the air box. I'llbe selling the K&N when I get that. Yes, worth the money and give the 6 a bit more power. Minor but just s tad noticeable.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks, Monkee. How did you black out the roof? That looks so good against the white paint.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by apostle999
Thanks, Monkee. How did you black out the roof? That looks so good against the white paint.
It's vinyl wrap. It's basically a giant sticker that is put over the paint. If I get tires of it, I can just peel it off and I'm back to the stock white roof.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Monkee
It's vinyl wrap. It's basically a giant sticker that is put over the paint. If I get tires of it, I can just peel it off and I'm back to the stock white roof.
I'm not sure who to call to get that done. Maybe the same people that do full advertising wraps... I should be able to track it down.

What's your next mod or two?

Quick Reply: 2014 Mazda 6 Project