Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2013 Mazda 6 2.2 diesel Estate stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Default 2013 Mazda 6 2.2 diesel Estate stalling problem

Hello All,

I’m new to the forum, just signed up due to the problems I am having with my 2013 Mazda 6 tourer/estate 2.2 diesel.

Approx. 4 weeks ago I had to be recovered by RAC after my car broke down (beginning of December).

Lead up to breakdown:

I owned the car for 18 months before breakdown, no problems at all, did plenty of motorway miles and used for regular 36 mile round trip commute; was very happy with the car.

2 months before breakdown, my work location changed and I started getting a bus to work. This reduced how much the car was used, limited to evening and weekend use.

3 weeks before breakdown I noticed a very quiet whirring noise at low speeds. As car speed increased I think the road noise drowned out the whirring. I noticed no change in my cars performance. Foolishly I did nothing about this noise.

Day of breakdown: 4 of us got in the car to go out (My OH was driving as I was planning on drinking that day). After about 8 miles and travelling at around 50mph she turned to me and said there was no power, she couldn’t build up any speed. I got her to pull over so I could try driving it, and it seemed that the turbo wasn’t kicking in. I could get the turbo to boost if I revved really high through the gears. I turned around deciding to go home and cancel our trip out. After a couple of miles the car stalled when I stopped at a junction. NOTE: no engine warning lights illuminated at this point.

I restarted it and drove on. After another half a mile the SCBS light flashed up, shortly after all the lights on the dash flashed up and the engine cut out. I coasted onto a side street and tried to start it up again and it would stall upon idle.

RAC man came out and dismissed my initial concerns about the turbo, took the air intake pipe off said there was no play in the bearing and it was spinning up as it should be.

He read the following fault codes:

P0299 Turbo/ Supercharger underboost

P053C Positive Crankcase ventilation, heater control (circuit high)

He removed a pipe between EGR valve and throttle body, allowing exhaust gases to vent out of the engine bay. He noticed quite a lot of carbon build up in the EGR valve. The car then idled smoothly. RAC mechanic suspected a blocked DPF was causing exhaust gases to be forced back in to the engine, forcing it to stall.

He towed the vehicle to my home.

I drove the car 500m to my local garage the next morning (with the pipe mentioned above removed). He has had the car over Christmas (4 weeks) and failed to find the cause.

He found the EGR valve to be clogged up with carbon and stuck open. He cleaned it out and confirms it now operates correctly.
He has cleaned out the DPF with cans of detergent, says its spotless and there is no pressure drop across it.

He said he would take it to the mazda dealer for me as he has run out of ideas. I am picking it up tonight.

Anyone had a similar experience or have any idea what might be causing it to stall?

Thanks in advance

James

Old 05-25-2023, 01:06 PM
Default Hi

Hi, sorry to reopen this thread and I know it was a long time ago now but just wondering if you got anywhere with this? What was the cause?
Thanks,
BejJ