Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2006 Mazda6 problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Default 2006 Mazda6 problems!!!!

Hi,

I'm new to the Mazda Forum but not new to Mazdas. I purchased a brand new Mazda6 on May 13th, 2006. It has now been in the shop a total of ten days for three different problems. One week after my purchase the check engine light came on with no noticeable problems. It was on a Friday evening so I was stuck for the weekend. A friend suggested I check the gas cap. I hadn't gotten gas yet, but I opened and closed it so that it clicked like they suggest. When my salesman called on Saturday morning, I told him about the check engine light. He also suggested the gas cap issue and that if I didn't want to wait until Monday to bring it into the service department, I could take it to a local AutoZone and have them check the codes. That day the check engine light went out, so I assumed maybe the gas cap was the culprit and all was well. Well, the following Wednesday the light was back on again. This went on with the light going on and off all that week. I took it to AutoZone on May 27th and their read out suggested that it was either a MAP sensor or a barometric pressure sensor. I took it into the service department on May 30th and they replaced the MAP sensor. On June 1st, after having it back one day, the check engine light came on again. I called the service department and spoke, once again, to the customer service tech. He said to bring it in on Monday and I asked if it would be alright to drive it on the weekend. He told me it would be fine (without knowing what the problem was and just assuming it was the other sensor that AutoZone's read out indicated). I took it back in on June 6th. They replaced the barometric sensor and I received it back on Thursday the 8th. During a funeral procession on June 13th, my adult children and I were entering the cemetery when my daughter (in the back seat) asked if that "ticking" noise was coming from my car. I turned the a/c off to discover the ticking noise did seem to be coming from my car but then it stopped. As we were winding our way around through the cemetery, the ticking was back and very loud and then THE CAR JUST STALLED!! No check engine lights, not overheated, no indications that anything was wrong. My son had to jump out of the car and push it out of the way so that we weren't blocking the rest of the procession. It took approx 45 minutes for the tow truck to be dispatched and get the car to the dealership. Needless to say I was furious! While I think this is a lemon from Mazda, I do believe the dealership's service center could have investigated the problems during the second visit. I think they just took the information from the computer read outs instead of really giving the car a real maintenance check! Now they are telling me that the pulley to the timing chain was separated and caused the cam to be out of time. I don't want this vehicle back and I am going to file Lemon Law papers on it. It just burns me that all the burden of proof is left up to me. I'm not only out a new vehicle but all the time off of work going back and forth to the service center is adding up as well. Has anyone else had any problems with 2006 Mazda models? Sorry to meet everyone on the forums on such a sour note. I did own an '89 MX6 and loved that car. I think I just got a car that was built on a Friday!! If anyone has any suggestions about filing Lemon Law papers or knows of any problems that are ongoing with Mazda I would REALLY appreciate hearing from you.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Default RE: 2006 Mazda6 problems!!!!

i would file a lemon law, maybe you can get another mazda 6,
check out lemonlaw.com . that mazda was defenetly built on a friday.. haha[8D]
i bought mine on april of this year and it runs great... no problems at all

Old 06-20-2006, 02:15 AM

I got my 2006 V6 with manual trans. in Nov. 2005 and everything is fine. What is your 6? 4 cyl. ? Auto trans.?

Old 06-20-2006, 04:15 AM

Hope this doesn't drive you from Mazda that sounds like one of the bad dealerships. They are either super awesome or super rude and unqualified, I don't know why Mazda dealerships just can't be normal. File the laws and get a new 6 and it should be fine then enjoy. Sorry about the troubles you went through.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:58 PM

Thanks everyone for your support. I have been emailing a Mazda Service Rep and he has been informing me that I have to talk to the my dealership's service manager and that I will not be able to speak directly with anyone from Mazda concerning this situation. I spoke with the service manager yesterday and he was surprised by that. He also stated that the problem was a defective weld on a pulley that supports the crank shaft. The weld didn't hold and sent the cam into the side of the motor. The dealership has also indicated that there might be more "issues" but they have to fix this first and the pulley is on back order.

To answer rx4to6's question, it is a 4 cyl automatic Mazda6 i sport sedan with a dark cherry exterior and tan interior. It is (aesthically) a beautiful car and I am going to be sad if I can't get another exactly like it (that runs!).

To respond to 87 turbo II, I don't think it's the dealership at this point. I am going to write a letter and send it registered to the President of the Dealership and see what type of response I get from him. Everyone at the dealership that I've spoken with so far has encouraged the Lemon Law pursuit and has been extremely helpful. I requested a print out of every shop incident and they gave me everything from when it was released from the manufacturer. I have shared all of my emails to and from Mazda with the dealership so that everyone is on the same page. The dealership has been calling me with "daily" reports at my request. Even if there isn't anything new, due to back ordered parts or whatever, they have been contacting me. The only thing that will drive me from Mazda is the fact that Mazda's isn't willing to speak with me one-on-one.

Filing the Lemon Law papers isn't an easy process. In Iowa, you have to meet certain requirements and the one that I think I qualify for is the fact that this defect could have caused serious bodily injury or death. I will have to prove that and it might require an attorney. If so, I will have to assume the costs upfront. Yea!

I find it reassuring that I didn't get any responses indicating that there are problems associated with this model.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 PM

I got my '06 in December. The only problem that I've had so far is a ticking under the hood...it was the timing belt, which they replaced. I never had it stall or anything though...just the ticking that got progressively got louder over the course of a month. Sorry to hear about all the problems!! You did get stuck with a lemon...it really is a great car!!!

Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 PM

Island 6, do you own a 4 cy? Mine is a 4 cy and they had a recall on the belt tensioner that made a ticking noise. I had my replaced also, and knock on wood mine is running well also...

Old 06-21-2006, 01:01 AM

Mine is a 4 cyl! It took them forever to figure out what the problem was...they didn't know it until I went out to the dealership and pointed it out to them.... They couldn't hear it b/c it was so loud in the bay and I knew I wasn't going nuts hearing it. The tech had to bust out his stethescope type thing in order to figure it out!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:23 PM

Hi all,

You were all very kind and supportive and I thought I'd give you an update on my "lemon". I spoke with the Regional Manager from Mazda Corp (Chicago) yesterday and after some negotiation he said that they would replace my vehicle with an equivalent model. If this takes place as indicated, I have my confidence back in the Mazda Corp. This confidence could be shaken again though if they try to give me anything less than a new 2006 Mazda6. He mentioned the new CX-7 but I believe he was just trying to make more money for Mazda and not offering this model to me for the same price.

In my opinion, everyone purchasing a new Mazda6 in this region should be aware of the possibility of a future recall due to this faulty crankshaft pulley.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:24 PM

glad to hear you're getting a brand new 6. Are they letting you order it witrh what you want? I.e. color combos? Since all the features will be the same you don't have to accept just what was on the lot, get the color you want! Happy to hear you're getting it though. Yeah the Cx-7 is more expensive so you wouldn't get one without markup.