Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2006 Mazda 6i rear brake drag(1 side)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Default 2006 Mazda 6i rear brake drag(1 side)

I've read through many forum posts, and am trying to determine exactly what applies to my vehicle, vs. perhaps a Protege.
The specific question is related to retraction of the caliper piston on the rear brakes. This question applies to a 2006 Maxda6i, 2.3L
I just replaced all 4 brakes and rotors, and find that the passenger rear has what appears to be excessive drag(hard to turn by hand, the other side has minimal contact between the rotor and pads), Driving the vehicle a short distance causes rotors and pads on this sideto get hot(much hotter than the other side)
I've had this caliper off several times, and have turned the piston clockwise to retract it. I have the 'nipple' on the pad properly aligned with the 'slot' in the caliper piston.
Question is: is there a way to retract the piston further? I see in other posts, mentions of an allen screw behind a bolt, but am suspecting this is an alternate implementation.
Other than that, any ideas? Possibly loosen the Parking brake cable?
Thanks, Fred

Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 PM

The piston in the rear caliper on the 6 just screws back in. Try breaking the bleeder screw loose on the caliper & see if that helps. If it does not, you may need a new caliper.

-Sheldon.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 AM

It could also be that the guide rods were not lubed well enough. Had a guy on another forum with a similar problem and this ended up being the case.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Thanks for those who have replied. I think that the problem is now resolved.
I decided to disassemble again, and clean some things up prior to reassembly.
I wire brushed the hub, to ensure the new rotors were properly seated.
I cleaned up and lubed the mounting areas.
I also removed the "disk_quiet" that I had applied to the back of the pads(wire brush, sandpaper, and brake cleaner). I'm suspecting that this may have been the problem; with new pads and rotors, there is a minimal clearance, even with the caliper piston fully retracted. The extra thickness of the pads with the "disk-quiet" on both sides, probably caused the drag that I encountered.
I should note that the drag not excessive, I could turn the wheel with the tire mounted. It's just that it was not as easy as the other wheels, and a short test drive showed the rotor and pads to get hot