Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

2003 Mazda 6 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Question 2003 Mazda 6 won't crank

Hi Mazda Folks,

My son left his rear windows down last night and it rained hard. In the morning, the car would not crank. The only noise on turning the ignition was a click, then the dials (tach, speedometer, temp) vibrate for about 5-10 seconds. I added water to the battery and tried to jump-start the car, but with no luck. Then I installed a new battery, but this had no effect (still just a click on turning the key and the dial vibration).

I don't know if there is a relationship between the rain and the starting problem. I am not sure how to diagnose a starter motor failure. I just spent a pile of money replacing oxygen sensors and I hate to have to pay to tow it to a repair shop. If anyone has any suggestions on what to try, I would be happy to hear from you.

I've inspected all of the fuses in the cabin and under the hood and all were fine. I tried cranking with all fuses pulled except for the critical ones (#16, 17, & 19 under the hood and #1, 2, and 9 in the cabin), but no change in symptoms. Other electrical seems to be working (e.g. power locks, power windows, overhead light, etc.). Do you think I should start testing relays? I'm about out of options...

Last edited by colddead6; 05-05-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by colddead6
Hi Mazda Folks,

My son left his rear windows down last night and it rained hard. In the morning, the car would not crank. The only noise on turning the ignition was a click, then the dials (tach, speedometer, temp) vibrate for about 5-10 seconds. I added water to the battery and tried to jump-start the car, but with no luck. Then I installed a new battery, but this had no effect (still just a click on turning the key and the dial vibration).

I don't know if there is a relationship between the rain and the starting problem. I am not sure how to diagnose a starter motor failure. I just spent a pile of money replacing oxygen sensors and I hate to have to pay to tow it to a repair shop. If anyone has any suggestions on what to try, I would be happy to hear from you.

I've inspected all of the fuses in the cabin and under the hood and all were fine. I tried cranking with all fuses pulled except for the critical ones (#16, 17, & 19 under the hood and #1, 2, and 9 in the cabin), but no change in symptoms. Other electrical seems to be working (e.g. power locks, power windows, overhead light, etc.). Do you think I should start testing relays? I'm about out of options...
check the ignition relay ...and a way for you to check the starter on the car is run a wire from the starter solenoid...directly to the battery it should crank....if it does then its electrical ...if u live close to stlouis mo i can help u out with it