Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Is your Mazda 5 thirsty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM

[quote=oxter;104303]
It seems to be happy enough in 5/6 gears at relatively slow speeds but are you saying that will add to the sooty stuff in the DPF?

That is exactly what I am saying.
I have no previous experience of diesel car engines but in my experience of marine diesels - both main engine and generators - they always liked being operated at full load rather than part load. In the case of main engines , one of the company main engines completely destroyed its turbo charger simply by operating at too low a speed for too long. This allowed oil build up in the exhaust manifold which ignited when speeding back up. The funnel smoke was always "blacker" at low speed so I imagine it is similar with a car.

So maybe I am a bit sensitive to this issue but unless you do regular motorway driving I think it is a good idea to drive the engine hard periodically even though the engine feels quite comfortable in 5th/6th.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 AM

[quote=Rhodri;104341]
Originally Posted by oxter
It seems to be happy enough in 5/6 gears at relatively slow speeds but are you saying that will add to the sooty stuff in the DPF?

That is exactly what I am saying.
I have no previous experience of diesel car engines but in my experience of marine diesels - both main engine and generators - they always liked being operated at full load rather than part load. In the case of main engines , one of the company main engines completely destroyed its turbo charger simply by operating at too low a speed for too long. This allowed oil build up in the exhaust manifold which ignited when speeding back up. The funnel smoke was always "blacker" at low speed so I imagine it is similar with a car.

So maybe I am a bit sensitive to this issue but unless you do regular motorway driving I think it is a good idea to drive the engine hard periodically even though the engine feels quite comfortable in 5th/6th.

As an experiment, I have kept the engine above 2K revs all the time, instead of trying to get into the highest gear possible. I have tended to drive the car at times before, but now I am just revving it a little more instead. This tank is giving about 3 more to the gallon since.
Probably more down to the DPF not needing to flood the engine instead though.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by oxter
So it looks like I am around average. I must say I had expected better than that. I have been accustomed to around the 50mpg mark with various 2.0 litre diesels but I suppose the Mazda is a bit heavier.
I wonder how it will get along with a caravan strapped on the back?
To answer my own question, we got almost 30 mpg while towing - I thought that was not too bad.
Unfortunately my DPF warning light came on flashing - took it to dealer and charged £77 + vat for a quick reset ( Main Stealer obviously!)
My local mechanic tried to reset the system with his computer when he serviced it - but obviously that didn't do it right.