Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.
View Poll Results: A poll
Pre-2006
4.95%
30.22%
26.37%
14.29%
12.09%
12.09%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Default RE: Tyre Selection

I'm almost certain that they are 15". I did not buy the 5 as new but I think they are the original tyres.
I keyed my registration into a web site that returns the tyre size and it returned 15".
I will have a further look when it gets bright in the morning.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

just checked the tyres and they are 195/65R15 91V

Old 09-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Well... OK then. I'll look into it and give youa few recommendations/suggestions.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 AM

Thanks. Look forwatd to your recommendations/suggestions.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

OK, Tires Pt.1
As you may or may not know, tires are a lot more than just the black rubber donuts that hold up the vehicle. These days more than ever, tires are an integral part of the chassis including, suspension, steering and braking. The wrong choice of tire can bring you some serious problems in drivablilty.
First off, the speed rating might be a problem for you.

Q- Up to 100mph
R- Up to 106mph
S- Up to 112mph
T- Up to 118mph
U- Up to 124mph
H- Up to 130mph
V- Up to 149mph
W- Up to 168mph
Y- Up to 186mph
Z- 149mph and over

It is generally not recommended to downgrade the speed rating of the factory tires. This can cause "unusual" handling characteristics. However, if you are truly a "gentle" driver, dropping to an H rated tire will likely do 2 things for you: 1) They often wear better than UHP tires w/a higher speed rating.And 2) They often ride better as well.

edit: Oh, one more thing: If you insist only changing 2 tires @ this time, it's not a good idea to use different speed rated tires. You would be better to replace all 4.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Tires Pt2 "Bang for the Buck"
Because of your driving style and what you've said so far, I have been looking primarily @ GT and HP tires over UHP's as came w/the car or EHP Summer only tires.
You should also know that I am not a fan of Good Year or Dunlop's. They are sister companies anyway. Race tires are another matter, but are not made, researched or inspected the same as a production street tire is.Race tirestandards are much, MUCH higher, and are obviously made in smaller numbers.
Your budget is also a consideration. I usually try to go for the "best bang for the buck," which like everything else means some compromises are made, usually wear.
My wife and I are both currently running Kumhos and have been more and more impressed w/them in the passing years. Together, we are on our 3rd set and have seen improvements in their construction and traction abilities.
That said, and w/a budget in mind my firs recommendation would be the Kumho ECSTA KU-27 V http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...=GAN&Achse= , or KH-16 Hhttp://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....s&place=12 , the tire currently on my wife's Saturn and the only tire she HASN'T complained about.
Falken's can also offer good BFB. The Ziex ZE-912 http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...d=15&ar=65, has garnered excellent reviews and a Best Buy from Consumer and others. I had a set of 512's myself and they were great until they wore down a bit too much and they wore down pretty fast for me.I do drive "spiritedly."The 912's have a better wear rating, lower noise, a better rideand are said to employ a highersilicone content in the tread compound.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Tires Pt3 "Moving Up the Evolutionary Ladder"

For a bit more, and moving into the relm of "name brand" tires I would say theYokohama AVID H4S
would be a good choice, though a bit more pricey here in the US. Those that have them seem to like them and most would replace using the same tire.

Continental ContiProContactoffer good traction rating and a decent wear rating also. Conti's are generally pretty soft feeling and should offer a good ride, but a little slower in the steering.
Some things I've read indicate that the General Altimax HPmight be a good choice for you also. A better wear rating and an A traction.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Thanks again for your research and recommendations.
Not sure what to purchase

Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't trying to confuse you just give some choices for you to pick from depending on your personal circumstances,or ignore as suggestions are just that.
Here's another thread dealing w/the same issue, though most are looking for the best compromise between wear and performance. Perhaps you'll find something there.
https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_67279/m..._/tm.htm#81279

Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Anybody got any comments on the following brand of tyre

Michelin ENERGY E3A 195/65 R15 V

I have read some good reviews.

Quick Reply: What year is your tire-eating Mazda5?