Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

URGENT UPDATE 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec Rear tyres

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Default RE: URGENT UPDATE 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec Rear tyres

Hi Nig,

The dealer we bought the car from is in Sussex. We will see what happens as the miles increase (fingers crossed).

Cheers,

AJ

Old 11-07-2006, 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: ajvj1812

Hi All,

Bought a new Furano at the weekend (well the wife did) and love it!

Tyre wear is known about and he mentioned that two 5's had their tyres replaced under warranty at his dealership. He understood that the UK geometry settings were set incorrectly at the factory, so this may account for UK issues. I stated that I would keep an eye on the wear, but judging by the initial look from the rear, they are wearing more on the inside. He didn't say that it would be too much bother to correct geometry settings if they were wrong. Guess we will find out if there is an issue.

Cheers,

AJ
Hi AJ,

Many thanks for your post, however I'm very concerned that you can already see uneven tyre wear on a car that is only a couple of days old!!! or is it an ex -demo?

As you say the car is great and I actually already have a deposit down on pre-registered Furano that, if I go ahead, I'll be collecting at Xmas. I am however having some very serious doubts about this car now and also the reponses that people are getting out of Mazda UK. To me this sounds like a very serious issue and if the settings are incorrect from the factory, it will affect every single Mazda5 on the UK roads.

I going to do some further reseach and get the dealer to do the leg work before I buy the car. That way, I might get some straight answers.

I really really want to get this car, but I'm just not happy with this situation at all.

Cheers
Rob

Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 AM

Hi Rob,

It is brand new and my initial observations might have been obscured by what I know is an existing problem.

The new tyre sheen has now been scrubbed off and it looks OK, but only time will tell. The only confusing thing for me at the moment is exactly what pressures to inflate to, dealer says 34psi and the handbook states 32psi (for normal use). I guess I'll take the 34psi option so at least I can say I followed the dealer's advice should I need to claim under warranty for new tyres.

Have any of our US forum members experienced this issue (sorry if I've missed that in another post)?

Good luck with the research Rob and I'll keep you posted on my wear rate.

All the best,

AJ

Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 AM

OK, so I rang my local dealer where I had a test drive on Sunday and expressed my concern about the tyre wear issue.

He stated again that he was not aware of a problem and then handed me over to the Service Manager who stated that he had not heard of it either and in fact had only just had cause to replace the tyres on a 5 Sport at 20k miles (which IMO is acceptable).

My next step is to question another dealer when I take my RX-8 in for service next week.

Cheers
Rob

Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ajvj1812

The only confusing thing for me at the moment is exactly what pressures to inflate to, dealer says 34psi and the handbook states 32psi (for normal use). I guess I'll take the 34psi option so at least I can say I followed the dealer's advice should I need to claim under warranty for new tyres.
My dealer has been tinkering with the pressures, see other posts.... At the moment they have put them at 35 all round. The reccomendation on US cars is 34 all round.
My dealer pumped them up to 42 all round and that caused crowning so I dropped them to 34.

Nig

Old 11-08-2006, 01:36 PM

Cheers Nig, I'll leave them at 34psi and see how it goes.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: RobS

My next step is to question another dealer when I take my RX-8 in for service next week.
So I had my RX-8 serviced yesterday and when I picked it up I asked the Service Manager whether there were any issues with the 5. He said about the suspension noise issue and that there had been some noisy steering racks. I then asked him about tyre wear and he said that he had not seen any with the problem and wasn't aware of it. He said that there had been a similar issue with the 6 due to a wheel bearing issue but nothing on the 5.

So I'm really sorry that you guys have been experiencing this problem but everyone I've asked (2 Mazda Dealers and one 5 Sport owner) hasn't experienced the issue. This of course makes it worse for those who do have the problem as there are less complaints and less likelyhood of getting a resolution.

I wish you luck in sorting the problem and please keep us informed of the situation.

I'm still going ahead with my 5 purchase as I feel that I've asked the question enough now and hope that my 5 doesn't suffer this issue.

Best Regards
Rob

Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM

Buyer beware!
I am pleased that you are thinking of getting one, I am sure that you will love it.

However, just because 2 dealers have not said they know anything about it. It does not necessarily follow that they really don't. Dealers are not likely to flag up a problem unless Mazda have identified it and 'officially' told the dealers about it.

It seems pretty odd to me that the wear is occuring on such a cross section of cars across the world.

Good luck with your purchase and .......

ignore the tyre pressure suggestion. put them to 34 - 35PSI
check all your tyres for wear, particularly the rears.

Nig

Old 11-15-2006, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: CharlottenEddiesdad

Buyer beware!
I am pleased that you are thinking of getting one, I am sure that you will love it.

However, just because 2 dealers have not said they know anything about it. It does not necessarily follow that they really don't. Dealers are not likely to flag up a problem unless Mazda have identified it and 'officially' told the dealers about it.
Nig,

I agree. I'm not 100% comfortable with the purchase and to be honest can ill afford to be regularly buying tyres.

I was basically trying to ascertain whether this issue affected ALL Mazda 5s or just some and I have to say that it looks like it affects some. As for the 'official' notification, as you say there has not been one, however the service managers that I spoke to (one of which was face to face) had no experience of the problem and unless they are lying (which I cannot rule out, but I'd be surprised if they were as I'm not buying the car from either gargae and 1 I was only casually chatting to him) the issue only appears to affect some cars. One thing I don't know is whether the affected cars are all of a certain age or whether they are spread across manufacturing dates over the past 18mths i.e. it's an ongoing issue.

I'm not due to collect and pay for my car until the end of the year and can pull out at anytime up until then, so if I find out anything else in the meantime, it could still sway my decision.

Where are you at with your campaign with Mazda UK?

Best Regards
Rob

Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 AM

Hello,

First of all sorry for my poor english.

I have a mazda 5 sportive CRTD. Here in Spain were are experiencing the same problem with the tyres. My dealer replace me the four wheels 2 month ago. Has anyone check the tyres after the replace and realligment?

Thanks

Quick Reply: URGENT UPDATE 2005 Mazda 5 sport UK spec Rear tyres