Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Tyre wear on UK Mazda5

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by iainso

So I'm wondering if the wear is happening specifically when the car is cornering rather than going straight. This would explain why there are more complaints from UK drivers than drivers from the USA (they have longer, straighter roads, and less corners/roundabouts in the US).

More than likely the speeds on the long straights are to blame a bit more than no corners. The corners will increase wear. The toe in /out settings are to straighten the wheels under power and at speed, as the pressure is put on the suspension. A change in the figures to suit our speeds might be in order. It might also be why some are not getting the issue, as they drive slower or less town/motorway work.

I am finding that 38psi in the fronts is a good figure so far.

What I am concerned about is that some of you are having rear shocks changed and not having both done??? These MUST be changed as a pair, just like pads and discs. If you havent had both done, go back to the dealer, it's a safety issue.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Default -- Watchdog Visit --

Hello Everyone,

For those of you who are aware of the current Mazda problems whether it be the famous DPF problem to tyre wear & valves snapping off - I have waited long enough for a government agency to do something about it after ignoring all of our complaints and stories.

I am going down to Watchdog in London tomorrow, so sorry for the short notice but if any of you are interested in supporting me with covering letters from your self then it would make the visit to watchdog a lot stronger.

If you are interested then please email your letters or points you would like to make to: contact@mazda-campaign.co.uk
Thank you

Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 AM

What did watchdog say ???

Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 PM

watchdog have taken all the websites, letters from everyone and will look on the campaign site. The lady i spoke to said she cant make any promises as of yet because watchdog is off air but she personally thinks this is a good case all round.

Just a waiting game, but i still insist if you want to show your support to register on the campaign and/or send me a letter that you would like me to give to watchdog.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM

We are on our 2nd set of tires and heading for the 3rd with only 38,000 miles on ours. OE's (Toyo) lasted less than 10K miles, dealer replaced with Kumho's. These should of been replaced ~5K miles ago just due to road noise but now that the inside shoulder is bald on all 4 corners it is time. Wife does not want to give up car so looks as this is something we have to deal with. All the dealer and Mazda are telling us is vehicle is very sensitive to alignment. Whatever! Just thought you should know it is not just a UK thing.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Smile Back Off holiday and good news for tomorrow night

I'm afraid I believe yours is just a one off or a rare example from the US. The car for your market is set up very different from the UK. Your engine, tyres and possibly gearbox too, and only 6 seats (i seen a brochure for the US version) because.... well because.... market. Put more pressure in the tyres too, it will help to reduce the edge wear. We have the problem in the UK with only the Sport version (2litre) of Diesel and Petrol.
I'm now back from my driving holiday, through the euro tunnel, the South of France via Paris and the Millau viaduct, driving under and over it (€6 approx), then over Pyrenees and down the coast of Spain. Stopped near Granada for a week then eventually back via Madrid back over mountains then back to tunnel. The Continental Conti Sport 3 tyres were great (another 3.4k miles added). The Mazda 5 was great, only 4 cars over took me (one, twice) all 3 were Mercedes (2 silver, 1 black) with CDI on the right of the boot, I couldn't read anything on the left side, very sporty, was doing about 120 at the time. All other mercs I came across were left for dust. Nothing even close on mountains.

Anyway for all those with the front tyre inner edge wear issue here in the UK ... Look back here in a day or 2. I have an important and exciting announcement that could affect a lot of you.

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 07-18-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Smile I'm have used my feet to protest. Good bye Mazda,

Well here is the good news for me and a possible solution to all you to encourage Mazda UK to come clean, be honest and do the right thing or lose more than they have calculated in their previous assessment, to play dumb, with the front tyre wear issue on the Sport versions of the Mazda 5. Because I did all my complaining in letter form and have written replies from Mazda UK via MP and SMMT etc. etc. Also the benefit of paying for any goods over £100 up to £30000 with a credit card (in my case Barclaycard/Goldfish) I have now had the Mazda 5 returned, (section 75/consumer act) just under 2 years old, I’m now driving a brand new Nissan Qashqai. Now don’t ask about the fine detail because I would not want to rock the boat or be in breach and any small print, or slander etc. etc.. Read all my relevant, previous posts and do all your complaining with e-mails and letters written on computers so you can recall them and forward them to the interested parties, also scan in all the replies. Read up about Trading Standards, SMMT (new cars), OFT, Sale of Goods Act, Consumer Credit act and Credit Agreements.
I will probably now have no interest in monitoring this Mazda forum and may never look at it again by the time a few days have gone by. However I do intend to pass on a file (electronic) to the ‘campaign’ site mentioned here as watchdog are now potentially interested in a program (after over a year since my initial reply) and be a potential witness or give my personal, educated, supported, even technical opinion of the faults here.
Good luck!

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 07-24-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 AM
Default Getting to "Yes" from Mazda

Congratulations GSX600F MAN
As Administrator for the Mazda Campaign Site
http://www.mazda-campaign.co.uk/#
can I say yes please to any info you feel you can let us have. Clearly we would not want you to compromise any small print undertakings you have agreed with MMUK - well actually we would like you to, but realise that would be unfair of us!
The Campaign site was set up to do the collective best for all people in your situation and we feel there has to be a way to get Mazda Motors to step up to their commercial and customer responsibilities and do the right thing. How you went about gaining your success may well be the blueprint we are all are looking for.
I absolutely concur with your tips on keeping everything written or emailed. Visitors to the Mazda Campaign site can read some similar suggestions I have made on how to get Mazda to do something.
Thanks again.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:01 AM

As there are photo's, scans, images and letters I will burn them to a CD/DVD and post to you because it's a lot to e-mail. I'll post you on your site or via the e-mail I use before. I'll hunt out the info this weekend so I can put it all away and tidy up the pile of paper by the side of my feet and stuff in the loft. We're well pleased with our new car and happy the ordeal with NON customer service with mazda has finished.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:37 AM

By the way with the rear suspension dampers being replaced. I raised this with mazda about replacing pairs and they said as it is a warranty issue they are only legally obliged to replace the faulty item. I bet if it was out of warranty and I was a normal paying customer they would only have sold and fitted the dampers as a pair. As recommended by all manufacturers of shock absorbers I have ever fitted (the same for discs, drums and brake shoes and linings). I've had 2 on near side and 1 on off side replaced.

Quick Reply: Tyre wear on UK Mazda5